Is this real?

The second 2 looks funny to me.

real?

Discuss...............
Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.

Comments

• tincuptincup Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I question the authenticity of the coin also. According to the PCGS guide.... the strong reverse 1922 version the second 2 in the date should be stronger than the rest of the date. (not so on the coin in question). Also, the word 'trust' should be much stronger than 'in God we'. Again, not so in the coin in question. The coin looks nothing like the photos in the quide.

I suspect an altered coin, although looks like a good job of it.
    ----- kj
  • It does fit the bill of a suspect coin for the following reasons, IMHO:

1. The second 2 looks oddly shaped.

2. There seems to be a shdow/ dark spot around the second 2

3. There is that rim damage - I recall reading once that altered coins will often have a distracting mark or feauture intentionally created to draw ones attention from the altered feature, hence, the rim damage

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    careful! the seller is a forum member!

now to the coin....Pat says it was bagged by NGC for damaged rim. It certainly does not look like it has the markers for a Die Pair #2 to me so I would guess that NGC bagged it for the damage without authenticating it.

• << <i>careful! the seller is a forum member!

now to the coin....Pat says it was bagged by NGC for damaged rim. It certainly does not look like it has the markers for a Die Pair #2 to me so I would guess that NGC bagged it for the damage without authenticating it. >>

Please let me make one thing clear: I AM NOT questioning the seller, only exploring the authenticity of this coin. It looks a bit odd to me and I'm here to learn. I agree 100% that NGC probably BB'ed it right off the bat for damage and stopped there. I'm pretty sure that is the situation, regardless of authenticity. image

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭

I was poking fun at another thread RobertB.image
  • tincuptincup Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed on the auction page, that someone else asked the question whether the coin has been altered or not. What makes me leery.... is it just doesn't seem to match the types recognized in the PCGS guide (although I do have to admit I am not that familiar with 1922 cents).

Perhaps there are other die pairs for the 1922, that are not recognized by PCGS? If I purchased the coin... would want to do so only if ANACS or some other third party service would authenticate it...

Have to admit it is a nice looking coin.... thus too good to be true?
    ----- kj
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    If in doubt, RUN!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • That piece, unfortunately, is altered. The genuine no D was struck from an old worn out obverse die that should have been retired a long time before it was paired up with the strong reverse and used to strike the "no D" cents. The obverse on this coin is way too sharp to be a genuine "No D" cent. It is either altered or struck from a filled die.

Jeremy, has your account been hijacked?
  • Wow. Ended at almost $500. Too bad!

• IMO the coin is suspicous, the obverse is much stronger than usual even for a high grade coin for those that i have seen. The second 2 is supposedly weak and this has a very strong rim. If this is the real deal even with the rim damage it would be XF or AU+ details and would be worth considerably more then the 482$ it sold for, at least i would pay more then that for it if i knew for a fact the coin was the real deal.

Andrew
  • TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Hey sleeper-can you turn on your PMs?
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin has been altered. The D has been removed.

You WILL NOT find a 1922 No D obverse struck like that. None of them even came close to it.

The obverse die was terminal, and that is the very first thing to look for

Here's a pic of a genuine Die pair 2:
    "I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file