Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL: When you submit, do you fold your SAFLIPs?

When you submit coins to either PCGS or NGC do you fold the flips?

What flips do you use? Just any 'ol flip or SAFLIPs? I currently use 2.5 X 2.5 SAFLIPs.

thanks
Michelle

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yes, folded with the invoice number and line number insert appearing out. SAFLIPS only, accept no substitutes.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    I use plastic flips, fold them, and tape the ends shut to avoid coins slipping out during transit.
    You must also include the invoice number, and the line on the invoice for each coin ( on the plastic flip )
    Read the submission form, and it will explain how to ship, and figure costs. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    MJPHELANMJPHELAN Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    I fold them but do not tape them. I figure the gum on the tape may end up on the coin when it is removed. I package the flips in a way that they cannot open.
    Mark
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I would tape them. If you pack them properly, they are not going to unfold.
    Doug
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" Saf-flips, fold them, then seal them closed with a 1-1/2" x 4" address label. I place the label over the side without the coin and wrap the ends around the flip to hold it closed. Then I write the invoice and line number on the label. The labels are paper so they should easily tear open once PCGS has them.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    I don't feel it's important to fold or not to fold your 2.5"X2.5" saflips. Ever try to retrieve a coin, once
    they're put into a saflip? The coin is not falling out! What is important is that you do use them and label
    them correctly with a submission and a line #.
    Plus if you do this, your grader will love you, and assign a lofty grade to your coins. imageimage

RegistryNut image
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wrap the flips with a rubber band.About 10 flips if im sending in more than 5.
    It stops the coins from moving around.
    Al
  • Options
    Do you ever submit two coins in one flip? One in each half, especially if they are the same?
  • Options
    rabbitracksrabbitracks Posts: 538 ✭✭
    Hi Michelle, Another Prairie Wave USER. I have a dealer I purchase my safe flips from that also has the body bags that PCGS sends
    bodybagged coins in I use also. I put the coins in the body bags and then into the safe flips wrapping about 5 coins in rubberbands
    and then wrapping in bubble wrap again with rubberbands. The whole package is then bubble wrapped top and bottom before
    shipping. You can never be safe enough, with to much padding!
    Mike.
    Someday REAL American HERO's will be on our COINS.
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    <<I fold them but do not tape them. I figure the gum on the tape may end up on the coin when it is removed. I package the flips in a way that they cannot open.>>

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't believe anyone would not fold them! They can come right out in the mail if not folded.

Also, I would not want tape anywhere near my coins. Rubber bands ok only if turnaround time is quick. You dont want rubberbands in close proximity w/coins when your economy package is sitting around for months if the backlog ever returns to that length of time. Rubber has a significant sulfer content and they degrade rather quickly. You could end up with some unwanted toning.

I use aluminum foil to hold the folded flips together for shipping.
  • Options
    I staple them together, and then seal with masking tape.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I staple them together, and then seal with masking tape. >>

You're kidding .......... right??
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I staple them together, and then seal with masking tape. >>

You're kidding .......... right?? >>

Yes
  • Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, so not everybody around here is always serious? Ha!