Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Paypal Scam

This may not be new to you but I just started recieving the following mail. It has a jpg.exe file as an attachment which I did not open.

I do not think it is anywhere near real from Paypal but I thought I would pass on the information.

Dear PayPal user,

We are currently performing regular maintenance of our security measures. Your account has been randomly selected for this
maintenance, and you will now be taken through a series of identity verification pages. Protecting the security of your
PayPal account is our primary concern, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have
limited access to you PayPal account in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.You can check your
transaction details in attachment.

Case ID Number: PE-901-449-020

Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.
Thank you,
PayPal Billing Center.
Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
"A work in progress"

Wayne
eBay registered name:
Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    It is no doubt a bogus paypal email. Forward the email to spoof@paypal.com. They will inform you as to the nature of the email. Those crooks keep trying to get your account info.image

BTW, I just picked up one of those medals with Victoria and the family on it, like the one you posted with a question a couple of months ago. when I get it imaged I will post it for you.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am getting so sick of those emails! Even as jaded as I get I still almost fell for a recent ebay one...the email was about an auction I had 'listed', but hadn't (I buy, don't sell so I got a little freaked my account had been hijakked), and I ALMOST clicked the link. The email I got back from the epal/paybay spoof guys said that the link could have downloaded a keystroke logging spyware. Fortunately I didn't click the link, but that was the closest I ever came.

I've heard some people talk about going to the links and putting in theraputic 'ids' and 'passwords', but don't do it! And run a spyware program--alot.

Ebay/Paypal (and now citibank, my credit union, Amazon, Chase plus a few more I don't even have accounts with) will always use your name in a real email.

Anyway...thanks for the warning! It helps to hear them!!

Cathy

• Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> Ebay/Paypal (and now citibank, my credit union, Amazon, Chase plus a few more I don't even have accounts with) will always use your name in a real email. >>

I have recently begun receiving spoof emails WITH my real name and/or eBay ID on them. I have instituted a policy in my store where NOBODY answers any email that has a hyperlink for response. Any emails purporting to be from eBay have to be answered through the "My Messages" section of my eBay Home Page, and if I have anything that really does come from PayPal, I see it when I go into my account. As an added security measure, I have downloaded the eBay software that automatically warns you with a popup if you try to answer a spoof email. But the crooks out there are REALLY getting creative, so WATCH OUT!!!!
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options

<< <i>I have recently begun receiving spoof emails WITH my real name and/or eBay ID on them. >>

I've gotten spoofs with one or the other, but so far never with both the real name and ID. It seems to me that any scammer who has both of those bits of info, probably already has the rest of what he/she needs to image you.
    Roy