Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

What do our English members think of A F Brock and Company?

A F Brock and Company Limited
269 London Road
Hazel Grove, Stockport
Cheshire UK SK7 4PL

has some interesting items in the catalog for their live EBay auction November 30.

Are they trustworthy?
Roy

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Of the coins that hold my interest, they appear to be properly graded.

I have never done business with this firm, so I know nothing of them.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Just looked at a few random coins there and their grading looks okay to me. Some coins look slightly overgraded, some slightly under, overall most are about right.

I always cringe when i see dealers describe themselves as selling 'Jewellry' as well... sovereigns are very popular in jewellry and some jewellers seem to think that cleaning a coin is normal proceedure. The fact that these guys sell stamps too though suggests they are most likely more aware of coin collecting trends and fashions and they fact that they have mentionned rim nicks and cleaning on a few coins puts my mind at ease.

I must say i've never heard of them before but i know there is a coin club in Manchester (i believe it's held at Stockport), and lets face it Hazel Grove ain't that far away, so they might be in the club... luckily i happen to know a club member. I'll ask.
  • Options
    Just got confirmation back from a dealer who has dealt with them saying they are a very good company to deal with. So green light.

Extra piece of advice they gave me to pass onto you was; if you're thinking about bidding via an ebay live auction, then don't, because if you contact A F Brock over the phone and make a telephone bid you save on the final buyers commission!

Obviously if telephoning the UK is cost prohibitive then maybe ebay bidding is the way to go.

• Options
    Thanks for the information Sylvestius.

The difference in premium for Ebay vs. telephone is 5%, and considering the maximum amount I'm likely to bid, and the serious inconvenience of trying to make telephone contact eight time zones away, I'll just factor that into my bidding. image
    Roy