Home Sports Talk
Options

Does anybody recognize WHY the strikeout is perceived so badly?

I'm curious on why people think a strikeout is so terrible, compared to just making a contact out. I have my reasons WHY it is perceived to be. I'm curious to see what other fans' thinking is on this topic...

Comments

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    We dare not to debate this topic with the master of all that is baseball statistics.

• Options
    Ahh, the root of the answer does not truly lie in statistics. Well, it does once you want to measure the effect, but the reason why is actually simple.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I like strikeouts.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    If only everyone was as enlightened as you, skip, the world would be a better place, right?

If so, who would you preach to about how ignorant and uninformed the general population is?

• Options
    If the general population was more enlightened, the world WOULD be a better place. I've already commented on the hypocracy and self-serving people of the world, no need to get into that here. Right now, adding a little wit to the general SPORTS public is just fine.
    Currently, holding a beer in my hand and talking about baseball is all right!
  • Options
    If you put the bat on the ball there's always a chance that something good will happen. If you never make contact then you never even had a chance, and you look foolish trying.

Yeah that about wraps it up.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭

Dropped third strike - a batter is out if he has three strikes during an at bat. However, if the catcher drops or otherwise does not catch the pitched third strike, the batter can still be awarded first base if he can reach it before the catcher is able to either tag him or throw the ball to first base before he reaches it. While this is still a strikeout, it does not count as one of the three outs for that half inning. This odd quirk presents the pitcher with a strange opportunity, the ability to record four strikeouts in one inning. And if a runner is on third base and the throw lands into right field..............etc etc etc.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    imo, it is quite entertaining to see a big power hitter (ie.barry bonds,jim thome,) strike out with a big powerful swing. it's just that too many non power hitters strike out (a lot )when contact is needed. corey patterson comes to mind.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can think of a couple of reasons;

First of all, statistics aside, I believe it is a mental victory the pitcher wins over a hitter, so much of sports is confidence, and if a pitcher is able to get the hitter out without letting the hitter get wood on the ball, it can give him an edge over that particular batter and an overall confidence boost. I read a quote by Mickey Mantle after Sandy Koufax struck him out "How are you supposed to hit that sh*t?". If you don't think you can hit it you probably won't. Of course Reggie Jackson, even though he struck out more than anyone, didn't ever seem to lack confidence.

I also agree that putting the ball in play can lead to good things happening, bad hops, bad throws, misjudged catches. I would think that mathematically more things can go wrong if the ball is put in play.

An out may be an out, but if my team is batting, I'll take a screaming line drive snagged by a diving third baseman over a weak swing that make's the batter look "overmatched".

JoeBanzai
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a large part of the reason that a K is perceived to be so much worse than contact outs is related to "big" games and "key" situations. If a batter comes up with the bases loaded, bottom of the ninth, two out, and strikes out, most fans are going to remember that at bat longer and with greater passion than if that batter had hit a screaming line drive that the third baseman nabbed with a diving catch. Even a weak grounder means that the last memory of the game is the play at first, and not the whiff at home.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    It's pretty simple IMO. You can't advance runners into scoring position, drive in a run via a fielder's choice, hit a sac fly, etc...if you don't make contact with the ball. Whiffing takes these offense tactics out of the equation. Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...