Home Metal Detecting
Options

Best Metal detector for air traveler.

Is there a model that packs easy? Do models come with cases that are hardened? Are any compact enough to carry on?

Also need to find coins, gold nuggets and must be water poof.

Thanks,

Betbigger

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some models have optional hardcases available.

Most machines can be disassembled small enough to fit into a suitcase or box of some sort- even a carry-on.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Try either the White's Beach Hunter I.D. or the White's Surf PI Pro. Both fit in White's hard cases. The cases are a bit pricy though. I use a soft one instead, and it works fine. But then again, I've never taken it with me on a plane before. When I went to florida a few weeks ago, we flew(and left the dogs home because we weren't going to our condo, we were going to a hotel), but there was going to be no time to use it, so I didn't bring it. All the other times we drove, so we could bring our dogs without worrying about them in the cargo pit underneath the plane. You're not going to find a metal detector that's waterproof, that'll be much more portable than that. It's much hevier than most metal detectors because they (like all water proof metal detectors) are weighed down, so it'll sink and can be easily moved around underwater, so you're better-off not making it a carry-on. as long as it's in the hard case, it should be fine.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    i brought both my machines to maine this summer.....took them apart and packed in my suitcase with my clothes, checked em in and i was off...worked out fine
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks All.
  • Options
    I Just googled underwater metal detector, and this model came up. I don't own a detector yet and know little about the specifications. I want to do some prospecting for gold nuggets in streams. This units applications just say Jewelry, relic, and coin hunting. Why would it not work for prospecting?

Link to small underwater detector
  • Options
    Detector Pro is good, but if I were you I'd go with either a White's, Garrett, Minelab, or Fisher detector. They're all top of the line detector brands and are the most reliable. That detecor should be able to do prospecting. I guess the guy who wrote the description accidently left it out. Since you're taking this traveling with you, where are you planning to use it anyway? Is it Florida's Treasure Coast? That's my favorite spot to hunt.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    I plan to use it in California, bought to gold claims on ebay. One on the North Fork of the Feather River near Oroville, Ca and the other near Yosemite on a nicely flowing tributary to the Middle fork of the Tuolumne River.

I heard there could be mining artifacts, coins and actual gold. Panning and dredging are normal means of extraction. I want to locate hot spots in the streams with a detector to make the most of my time.

• Options
    I have one question to add to this: Do airlines allow you to pack a digger? I'm going to NY next summer to visit my girlfriend's family and was planning on bringing the detector with me. I was worried that I might get in trouble for packing a digger. Anyone had any problems with this?
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calling them would be your best bet.I would say you will have a problem being pointed and sharp.
    Could be used as a weapon.
    Al
  • Options

<< <i>I have one question to add to this: Do airlines allow you to pack a digger? I'm going to NY next summer to visit my girlfriend's family and was planning on bringing the detector with me. I was worried that I might get in trouble for packing a digger. Anyone had any problems with this? >>

I'd imagine they would as long as you make it part of your luggage and not a carry-on, because they also allow things like guns and knives for the same reason. But call them and see, it'd be worth it. Where to in NY anyway?
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options

<< <i>I have one question to add to this: Do airlines allow you to pack a digger? I'm going to NY next summer to visit my girlfriend's family and was planning on bringing the detector with me. I was worried that I might get in trouble for packing a digger. Anyone had any problems with this? >>

i packed my diggers in my check in luggage and had no problems. if you try to bring it in your carry on luggage you may have a problem
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage