Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Need some advice on submissions.....

Hope everyone had as great a turkey day as me! On to the questions. When you send in your coins for grading and do not know the exact grade it will come back(apparently by some of the posts some people think they do!) what do you put for value? What you paid for it or the likely value if it grades to your expectations... Also on the economy grading it states coins valued less than $300 same question as above and how strict are they on this(PCGS). My experience with customer service after submission has been lackluster at best so far! They lost my free coupon then asked me to call them back( the guys name starts with a "S") and after four messages left on his extension over three weeks NO call back. So are my coins just sitting there in limbo? Has anyone used economy lately and if so what was the turnaround time, I was hoping quicker than the forty five days quoted(on my other shipment). Take care, Mark

Comments

• Options
    I was also wondering the one of the same things... What if you submit a coin for regular modern grading and the coin grades so good that it might be worth more than the $300 maximum? Would PCGS give it a lesser grade to not make it worth over $300?

Please explain.
  • Options
    I don't think the graders see the submission form.
    So,they wouldn't know the value you put.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a039,

I have read the answer to this before on the Q&A forum. As I recall someone asked how to determine what tier to submit their coin under if the were not sure the value of their coin and DH said to just send your coins in and they would get graded properly. As far as the other question about the graders seeing your invoice here is that post. Hope this helps image
    I use the PCGS price guide as a guide. If you're talking about moderns and it shows over 300.00 I have put over 300.00 before and have not had a problem.
    Ken
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546

<< <i>a039,

I have read the answer to this before on the Q&A forum. As I recall someone asked how to determine what tier to submit their coin under if the were not sure the value of their coin and DH said to just send your coins in and they would get graded properly. As far as the other question about the graders seeing your invoice here is that post. Hope this helps image
    I use the PCGS price guide as a guide. If you're talking about moderns and it shows over 300.00 I have put over 300.00 before and have not had a problem.
    Ken >>

• Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
    Thank you for the info! For a minute I thought this forum was only for the so called experts to complain about content and format instead of actually helping someone put a registry set together...Take care, Mark Registry set link below
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Mark,
    I would suggest you put a value on the coins you send equal to or slightly more than what you paid for them. The value you enter is for insurance purposes only and will be used by PCGS when they send your coins back. You should value your coins at the same amount when you buy insurance at the post office to send the coins to PCGS. You should use the same criteria when determining if any one coin is over $300 in value. PCGS wants your business. They are not out to screw you with valuation problems. It would only effect you if you under insure or undervalue your coins and THEN the coins get lost either coming or going. Good luck. Steveimage

P.S. If a customer service representative does not act professionally with you, get his or her name and send a PM to Carol Bennett (carolj), or email her carol@collectors.com
  • Options
    I had a POP 1 period ($15K plus coin) get graded under econ. With moderns I don't think there is much reason that PCGS would doubt a value of under $300 with a coin. If you are sending in MS $20 saints under econ, then you have a problem. Don't worry put $300 down on each that way you CYA if the PO looses it.