Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Question RE:Morgan 1900-1921 for Registry-Which one?

Well, If you had to buy a Morgan dollar (1900-1921) for your Modern Type set but dont collect Morgans what would you buy?

I would like to get a nice one, but dont have the money for a *really* nice one. I dont want to just throw my money away... What is a better date to get? Is there a key date in this range? Since it will go into my reg set, I want to get something meaningful.

thanks for your suggestions.
Michelle

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michelle:

The answers fall into two distinct groups, depending on whether you want a mint state coin or a circulated coin?

The key dates in this date run are (in decreasing order) 1903-S, 1904-S, 1900-O/CC, 1902-S, 1901-S, 1903-O. I've omitted the 1901-P entirely because it is a horribly made coin and is horribly expensive in AU-up grades. Aside from the 1900-S, pretty much everything else from this date run is considered a common date, other than in ultra-high grades.

The problem with the better dates is, in mint state thay are all pretty expensive. Also, workmanship during this period was very hit and miss, plus the Mint switched the way it heated blank planchets, so the resulting lustre characteristics of the coins changed to be somewhat drab and dull. It is tough to find coins that are flat-out pretty from this period.

How much do you want to spend? For about $40 or less you can get (with some looking) a really booming lustrous, semi-PL 1921-P in MS64... except 1921 is not a better date by any stretch of the imagination. For about $125 and a bit more looking you can get an MS64 semi-PL 1921-D, which is a bit better date and carries the great possibility of being a VAM.

Good luck in your hunt!
    When in doubt, don't.
  • For $150 or under you can get a very nice MS65 1900-O, 1902-O or 1904-O. Several selections from $60 and up in 64. All this information is in the PCGS price guide. Good luck!

Cartwheel