Home Metal Detecting
Options

Demo site question

When you hunt at a demo site do you try to get permission first?

Comments

• Options
    Usually when I notice a demo it is on the weekend's,if it isn't posted and the fence is not that tight I will go in and hunt.
    The contractor's are going to tell you "NO" and the reason is liability.They are only insured for the people that work for them not some guy who want's to go play in the dirt.The reason for all this is all the sue happy people out there.
    We have never been bothered but one time by the police,I think this had to do with part's of the old building's were still standing and they were incorperating them into the new structure that is being built.Any other time they don't care,once in awhile they even stop to see if were finding anything good.HH,Tom

• Options
    my experience so far has been that, most contractors don't care, as long as you go in after they go home. i've even dug with the contractors and some foreman. of course there have been a few that have kicked me out and/or called the police. the police are generally very cool and some have given me other "sites" to try.

But.... there are a few spots that you may want to avoid: unversities and military bases. and as always, cover your tracks. a good site will always come to a quick end for you, when you get sloppy.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Demodigger, I like what you said about covering your tracks. When I leave a place that I have detected I want it to look like no one has been there.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What loditom and demodigger said.

For me it depends on how much activity is going on, whether it looks like anybody will notice my presence (obviously I will be filling in all holes and so on), and so on. If it looks like it might be a really uptight place, I leave it alone. Obviously I do not hunt areas that are fenced off and/or posted.

If a site is relatively open and quiet and I can go in and keep a low profile, I sometimes will. It is best to have permission if at all possible, of course, but some large sites or rural sites around here get bulldozed and then left alone for a while before any construction begins- this is my window of opportunity.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.