Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Heck with MJ Roop, build your own box!

I couldn't find something big or nice enough to store my whole Star Wars Collection, so after puttering around a couple months I finished this box. It will hold over 400 cards...and yes, it weighs a ton when full. Hope you like it.

Comments

• BugOnTheRugBugOnTheRug Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭
    Very sweet box...........I take it you know something about woodwork. Did it cost much to build? Type of wood? I know, details details.
    Thought about doing roughly the same thing is why I'm asking..........
    Bill
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is dentil molding around that sucker isn't it. Nice job

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    pretty damn good!

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    BOOOGAH!!! SLAM DUNK BABY!!!!
  • Great looking case. You did however forget one thing. You should have built slots into the bottom to accomodate the forklift you will need to lift it.

Nathan Sr.
    Successful purchases: Lawnmowerman(2), Wabittwax, mkg809, thePlasticman

Successful sales: xphunk, vjsteele4, onefasttalon, five7teen, yankeeno7

Successful trades: mijang

Generous Souls: MBMiler25, DES1984
  • Puttering??????
    Man, I wish I could come up with stuff like that just by "puttering".
    Great looking case!
    Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    very, very nice!!!!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    CAP - Very nice. High Quality!
    You should market these in varying sizes, you would probably have a few customers that would make it worthwhile...jay
  • even my wife likes the box, and shes not much of a box liker
    Now looking for a 1950 Bowman Baseball Box as pictured below.
  • captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I made it all from half inch red oak. Needs to be that thick to take the weight and I was going to put a handle like a suitcase, but I was afraid it would just rip out. I've thought about offering to build others, but I'm in the Air Force and don't know how long I'm around from month to month. A last minute addition was the slots to put in a directory of each column. The paper just slides in and out so it can be updated easily. Thanks for the compliments folks...now if somebody makes me an offer I can't refuse...we'll just see.

captfisch
  • jimtbjimtb Posts: 704 ✭✭
    That is really nice! This is a talent that I just don't have.
    Collecting all graded Alan Trammell graded cards as well as graded 1984 Topps, Donruss, and Fleer Detroit Tigers
  • wildcat05wildcat05 Posts: 63
    edited May 12, 2017 1:21AM
    nice set
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Great job! I'd about given up on the Roop boxes, after seeing yours I"m off to buy dovetail jigs and try the same thing.
    The slides in the lid for the checklists are a great addition.

Any chance you can put Princess Leia in the bikini and chains at the front of the next box you do?

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• OUTSTANDING JOB........ THANKS FOR SHARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rangerman / ARMEDPILOT

B)
  • tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    WOW that looks great!

• captfischcaptfisch Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    I figure it cost at least $100 for wood, brass, felt and supplies. Plus I had to buy a couple tools to do it right.

captfisch
  • yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    Phenomenal! I wish I had the talent to do something like that. I'd probably sever at least three digits and end up with something akin to what I made in junior high shop class. Which is to say something so bad that only my parents could feign appreciation.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Awesome Captain! I have a few wooden boxes for my collection too.... some custom made, some made in bulk (but not by Roop).... I'll post some pics too. They aren't as nice as yours... but very nice in their own way. It's a cool thread to see how we all store the cards!

Paul Holstein
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    www.vintagestarwarscards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
    transparentpunk@hotmail.com
  • Originally, I bought a few of these 250 count locking wooden boxes. Nice for the price, and I still use them for doubles and for transporting cards when necessary...

www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • Those original boxes became obsolete quickly, with all of the sets I am working on. And, I didn't like that I couldn't see into them with them closed. I have now switched to (3 total) 1000 count wooden boxes, custom made with plexiglass tops. Geez, if us Star Wars Cards collectors go so crazy with the custom boxes - I can't imagine what the Sports Cards guys are using!

Paul H.

www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • You can't really tell too much in the photo, but these boxes are made with 5 separate "columns". Each "column" holds two columns of 100 graded cards. While most of the graded cards are standard size, I do also have a few (a collection that is growing) that are in oversized holders (Sugar Free Gum Wrappers, ADPAC stickers, York Peanut Butter Disks, Yamakatsu Large, etc.). The maximum depth of these boxes fits the oversized holder perfectly... and the maximum "column" width holds a column of oversized holders exactly next to a colum of regular holders (although two columns of regular holders looks nice too. I am hoping these wont become obsolete too soon! Just for fun, here's a scan of one of the cards in an oversized holder.

www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com
  • julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    $100 for the whole shabang?

I would pay $250 for something like that boyeeee...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Originally, I bought a few of these 250 count locking wooden boxes. Nice for the price, and I still use them for doubles and for transporting cards when necessary...

Paul, where did you get those? Thanks
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • I got the 250 count boxes on eBay. There was a guy continually listing them, but I don't see any auctions for them currently. If they pop up again, I'll post a link to an auction...

Paul H.
    www.disc-or-die.com
    www.jamesbondcards.com
    paul@disc-or-die.com