Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

POLL: Should The 1857 DDO (FS-002/PCGS No 2017) Be Added To The Flying Eagle 1c, Circulation Strikes

Or should a variety registry set be added for flying eagle cents? Isn't the 1858/7 a variety? Since PCGS has added a specific "PCGS No" (i.e. 2017) for the 1857 DDO and it's pop can be looked up and it can be slabbed WITHOUT using "mint error" service, I feel it SHOULD be included.

Thoughts? Comments?

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I think that all that something like this does for this coin, or for any variety, is gives dealers the chance/reason/excuse to mark exhorbant prices on the coin, quote extremely low populations, and tout them as needed for registry sets, etc...

If you're going to add that coin, I would certainly think that the S7, S8, and S9 are MUCH MUCH more deserving.
  • Options
    I think you should add a "no preference" choice for people who dont know the significance of the variety and cant vote one way or the other.
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭

Roger, Good poll however the 1857 double die is a funny variety because most of them have machine doubling.Others have machine as well as die doubling.Others are mildly doubled at the obverse letters.I got the first 1857 DDO graded at PCGS after taking more than six months of politicking.Simarly the 1858/7 should only be graded if it is early die state.
    I vote NO for inclusion in the Registry

Stewart
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image Agree with Stewart, that is.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.