Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Online reference for Canada platinum?

I was looking through a box of my coin stuff, and I came across a 1999 Canada platinum coin, 1 oz., $50 denomination, with a polar bear on the reverse. I tried to find information about it on the internet, and there doesn't seem to be any comprehensive online reference for these.

I thought that $50 seemed like a low face value for a 1 oz platinum coin. I think the value is much higher on most 1 oz platinum? I wouldn't know; it's difficult to find any information image

Also, are these part of a series? I know they had the wildlife series with 0.1 - 0.25 - 0.5 - 1 oz coins for each year through the 90's, but one list I was able to find showed the 1999 coin as a Musk Ox. I'm pretty sure this is not a Musk Ox image

Comments

• trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    The Canada 1999 platinum Polar Bear is a special bullion issue (much like the bullion platinum Maple Leaf). I believe that was the last year that the RCM issued bullion platinum and the mintage for the 1 oz is 1999. Other fractionals are available much like the Maple Leaf fractionals. The Polar Bear design is based on the Canada $2 circulating coin. The RCM platinum series animals are different from these as they were issued in proof sets only with different designs on each denomination.
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Krause 2006 says value is bullion value + 10% but only lists the Maple Leaf design that was minted 1990-99.
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Thanks for the info. I had started (very briefly) worrying that maybe it was fake, because I couldn't find anything about it image
  • trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    I actually have 1 of those Ploar Bear 1 troy ouncers. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)