Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I got a surprise gift from Udo!

I got a nice letter from Germany the other day, with a surprise gift, out of the blue!

Udo sent me a holey 1687 Hildesheim 24-mariengroschen (2/3 thaler) piece, in sympathy for the "one that got away" (the 1806 Draped Bust half which turned out to be a previously-undiscovered Overton variety, after I sold it to Cladiator- the story recently hit Coin World, I believe- basically I sold a coin with a four-figure pricetag for around $75).

I've been wanting a 17th-century thaler on the Holey Coin Vest for some time, and a 2/3 thaler fits the bill nicely. I didn't have any big silver from before 1700 on there- just minors.

Thanks, Udo! That was a really nice surprise! image

It will have a proud place on the Holey Coin Vest, right on the same hook where the now-famous Draped Bust half once hung. (I do still have another Draped Bust half on the vest, but it isn't a rare variety... at least, I don't think it is...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    That was very nice of him. Sorry to hear about the Bust half.
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trozau- you're right, of course.

I will have to amend the situation soon. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- why do you have goldcoinlover's icon in your sigline? image

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Udo.image

(the 1806 Draped Bust half which turned out to be a previously-undiscovered Overton variety, after I sold it to Cladiator- the story recently hit Coin World, I believe- basically I sold a coin with a four-figure pricetag for around $75).

It sounds as if there's a moral obligation from one member to another to recompensate.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PS- why do you have goldcoinlover's icon in your sigline? image >>

Who knew he would be an unpopular guy? I gave gave him my blessing to use my 'ara' icon before he became infamous. image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)