Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Wanted: 1797 half, AU 50 or better

As many of you know, I love the early and capped bust half series and have been putting a set together for 7 years.

During that time, I have come across several 1797's, mostly at auction. The majority of coins presented have been XF or less, but there has been an occassional MS coin.

If anyone has, or is aware of the existence of an AU 50 to 58, I am a serious buyer.
TahoeDale

Comments

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this is a thread title you don't see every day!

Awesome date coin, and I wish you much luck and success in your search!
    When in doubt, don't.

• << <i>As many of you know, I love the early and capped bust half series and have been putting a set together for 7 years.

During that time, I have come across several 1797's, mostly at auction. The majority of coins presented have been XF or less, but there has been an occassional MS coin.

If anyone has, or is aware of the existence of an AU 50 to 58, I am a serious buyer. >>

Lemme see, Dale.......just went through my original bank wrapped roll of 1797 halves...drats! All of them are uncs! Thought there might be a slider or two among them.

Some might be as low as MS-62, but the majority are MS-63s or better. Sorry. <vbg>

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IRAS4: image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Okay, Ira, I'll go for the MS 62, but I do not want the entire roll out there for another 3 years. It would devalue my 62 too much.

TahoeDale
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TahoeDale:

All AU-50 to 58 are now in MS-61/62 holders and all MS-62 graded ones are already or are going to be reslabbed in EF/XF or lower slabs. It is definitely a plot!

Best of luck!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

• << <i>Okay, Ira, I'll go for the MS 62, but I do not want the entire roll out there for another 3 years. It would devalue my 62 too much.

image >>

Oh, what a shame, Dale. Minutes after my post, a rep from Goldberg's called and bought all 20 and said they were going to market them all at once, just like they did with the 117 1894 Morgan Dollars. Clever guys!

I made a handsome profit too! Got $1200 per coin! Quite a substantial gain over the $400 apiece I paid when I bought from Max Mehl in 1947. Who said coins weren't good investments? I just spent my entire profit, $16,000, on all the Washingtom commerorative 1982 halves I could find on eBay. Quite a few for sale there. Too bad the sellers can't recognize the potential value in these coins as I have.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Michael, a regular poster here, forgot to list these 1982 halves as sleeper coins in the earlier thread. A glaring ommission, actually, as those in the know (take note, Laura and Mark) are secretly squirelling these away and waiting for when the time is ripe.

Ira
    Dealer/old-time collector