Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to break up a set for sale...

I just purchased a solid 1976 Topps baseball set to upgrade some commons and minor stars in my existing set.

So, what is the best way to break up a set for sale?

The big stars (Aaron, Ryan, Rose, Yount) by themselves?

Team sets?

Lots of 50/100?

Cards are all roughly in the same grade range (EXMT-NM/MT).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jskirwinjskirwin Posts: 700 ✭✭✭
    Bump.
    Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    The stars should definately be sold by themselves (with a nice scan). As for commons, I would suggest offering singles to any '76 collectors here first. Then when you are ready to eBay the rest, you might want to check the pop reports to see which of the commons have the lowest populations, and sell those as singles as well.
    As for the rest, team lots would probably do better than the lots of 50/100 random mixed lots.

Good luck,
    James
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Consider grading the best NM/MT cards during this month's $5 special too - PSA 8 star cards will do much better than ungraded cards claiming to be NM/MT - even if you are an established seller.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    The Yount is close to a gradeable 8 but the others are EXMT-NM at best.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    upgrade your cards and then take your extras and replace them in the set and just sell it as a set. You will do better that way. Otherwise I would say sell the bug stars and sell the rest as a near set _% complete and missing only _ cards
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    sell it as a set, you won't get much for exmint-nm 76's in smaller lots especially when factoring in the fees
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    let's not question jskirwin's ability to determine a psa 8 from a nm/mt card. he should only b glad that there is a psa 8 holder for the card of superior status and quality. psa is an authority in this area and we all should recognize and only give thanks for the psa-graded cards we own....

mean mr mustard
    sleeps in the park
    shaves in the dark...
    such a mean old man

nevermind wrong thread

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Crud... I just broke everything up into team sets.