Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fun with Ebay idiots

I was doing my usual searches this morning and came across a 1986 World Series Game Used Signed Ball.

Of course, it's actually a stamped facsimile ball. Then I checked the seller's other items, and he also has this 1953 Topps Mickey Mantle card straight from grandpa's attic. It, of course, is a 1991 Topps Archive card.

Being the day before thanksgiving, I don't have much to do, so I sent this message in response to the ball:

I hate to be the one to break the bad news to you, but your father never went to the 1986 World Series. He was with me that night. My name is Al and I had a flaming hot homos*xual affair with your father in 1986. On his way home that night, he must have stopped at a souvenir stand to pick up this phony ball. Those aren't even real autographs on it. Those are stamped on. Again, I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you, but I know you wouldn't want to sell a phony ball to unsuspecting buyers. Love, Al

Then, in response to the Mantle card, I sent this:

Yep, more bad news. This card was made in 1991. It's a 1991 Topps Archive reprint of the 1953 set. I gave it to your grandfather in 1991 in payment for s*x. You see, he was a prositute and I needed some luvin'. I didn't have any money, so I told him the card was real and worth lots o' money. He didn't know the difference, so he took the card as payment. I feel terrible that he passed it on to you and you believe it's real. If it makes you feel any better, grandpa was VERY good at his job. Love, Al

Let's see who can make up the most outlandish story to send this guy about the origins of his ball and card!

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very poorly done silk screening job on the baseball.
  • Options
    image Please let us know his response!
  • Options
    theczartheczar Posts: 1,590 ✭✭
    i agree the guy is lying but starting email jihads is only going to get YOU in trouble. ebay may kick both of you off. i would have notified ebay and anyone who bid on his stuff and left it at that. there are enough nutballs in the world without starting crap with strangers.

• Options
    Agreed, your lucky he doesn't do an ebay contact on you, get your phone number and give you an earful and thats if your lucky. The world is a much smaller place these days, anybody can find anyone with just a little work, you've got to be careful.

And besides, what business is it of yours what someone else is listing?, if you think its phony or not legit, just report it to Ebay and get a life
  • Options
    JTB, I think it's hilarious and there's nothing ebay can do to you, since you didn't do anything wrong. Some people here just don't have a sense of humor.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Let's see who can make up the most outlandish story to send this guy about the origins of his ball and card!

I'll pass.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Let's see who can make up the most outlandish story to send this guy about the origins of his ball and card!

I'll pass.

SD >>

And do 4600+ of these instead....great.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    nevermind..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Ohh ok I guess I can act like a fool and email some ebayer and call his parents and grandparents names like you. nah I still think I'll pass.

Edited to add: why go to ebay? I can have fun with an idiot right here.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    So? any replies?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    That Mantle card is over $120 now. And the auction is less then 2 hours away from closing. Someone is
    going to be really upset on getting a reprint card.
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    That Mantle went for a lot. Someone is going to be upset if it's the reprint.
  • Options
    What do you mean if its a reprint that is blantaly the 1953 archives card. he deserves all the crap anyone gives him for selling garbage as the real deal.image
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What do you mean if its a reprint that is blantaly the 1953 archives card. he deserves all the crap anyone gives him for selling garbage as the real deal.image >>

The copy in this guy's ad is hardly touting this as "the real deal":
    Im really not to sure about this card.I have had it for about 2 years. I got it from my grandfathers attic after he passed away.It has black tape around the entire case and im not sure why.I know it's a 1953 card because it has a piece of tape across the top that says "1953 MANTLE".I guess it is there either to hold the case down or to keep moisture out of the case.All of his other cards had the same black tape on it.The card is in good condition, it has alittle wear on the edges but no creases or water marks.S/H is $5.00 for this item.I accept money orders and personal checks,sorry no paypal.Happy bidding!

How much more clueless could a seller describe himself to be? Crappy auction? yes. Deserving of anonymous smut about his family? I don't think so. I'm amazed at the "heroics" some of you guys boast about on these boards. I think I've watched you stopped in a lane backing up traffic yelling at some guy who failed to indicate.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    The Emails you sent the Ebay SCAMMER gave me a good laugh. I commend you.
  • Options
    Ok, something else is wrong with the Mantle auction. The guy that won the auction left feedback within
    just a few minutes after winning it. I didn't spend the time looking into it much more. Shill bidding???
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Possibly. Another possibility is that the seller informed the buyer, who seems to only bid on Mantle cards, that this card was involved in a homosexual liason and they both agreed to undo the deal. I would guess that the seller gave the buyer an out, the buyer took it, and left positive feedback on the spot.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mess around...

I just refer these auctions to Pandrews and Company for immediate action.

Mike
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    THAT icon is quite discerning...

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Maybe I'm immature, but I fell off my chair laughing when I read waht you sent the guy. GREAT JOB!