Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry quality PCGS FS Jeffersons 43/2 & 62P

I have the following PCGS FS Jefferson nickels available. Price includes postage and shipping. thanks.

* PCGS MS66FS 1962P Jefferson nickel available. PCGS online pop report indicates there are 14 coins at this grade with none higher. This was my set coin until I made another MS66FS coin. The steps are razor sharp. Slightly rotated reverse. Smooth fields on the obverse, very clean shoulder for a 62P, a small tick on the nose, some very small ticks in the cheeks and jaw area. Nice eye appeal. A really nice, no question full step, full strike 62P. 1750.00

* PCGS MS65FS 1943/2 Jefferson nickel. Full strike. Smooth fields (no marks). Shoulder and cheek is clean. There is some abrasion on the jaw. White coin. There are a couple of ticks in the hair. The building details are full. The steps are razor sharp and are nearly 6 full steps. There is a slight bridge under pillar 3 steps 5/6. This is a high end 65 coin. I purchased it thinking (well hoping) that it would upgrade to MS66FS. A good buy at this price and a very nice coin. 1600.00

CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
RayOverby

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are tough coins. The overdate is even tough in unc.

The overdate wasn't generally recognized until well into the 1960's because of
    confusion with several similar dies which had mere diecracks. Due to this most
    examples were allowed to become well worn in circulation.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be great if Bern N would post on how that discovery was made. He related it to me once but my memory wouldn't tell the whole story.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    iirc, it was the early 80's when the overdate was officially recognized as such. del romines was the owner of the discovery coin, and was told it was just a die chip and not an overdate by the experts. he never the less kept trying, and i believe it was tom delorey of coin world's collector's clearinghouse that broke the story. afterward, people were cherrypicking them off at shows for a buck apiece with some frequency. i was never so lucky.
  • Options
    Larry

I did some perusing in Bern's Nickel Analyst book and it mentions that Delma Romine's discovery wasn't confirmed until someone produced an unc example and Bern claims that he did just that through Thomas
    Delorey and the ANA. It's interesting to note how Bern's coin provided proof for the variety but yet Bern didn't get recognized as the discoverer of the variety. But than again, Bern couldn't have made the discovery since he learned about the variety through Delorey. But yet, during the first years of searching himself during the 1970's, you would think that he should have made that discovery. But obviously, this coin must of been in some other part of the country or he just may have missed it. And we're looking at almost 40 years before anyone brought this coin to light.

Leo

To add: And you're right about how these coins were cherrypicked from dealers tables. That's how my coin was located and for $20. But I wasn't the guy who bought it then. I paid $1100 the second time around!

• Options
    "* PCGS MS65FS 1943/2 Jefferson nickel. .... A good buy at this price and a very nice coin. 1600.00" image

I just missed THIS ONE image My snipe was a half an increment too low image But I'd go $700 for yours image
  • Options
    rayovacrayovac Posts: 192 ✭✭
    RBINTEX,

Thank you for the offer but I will decline.

Ray Overby
    CS 65-Present FS Jefferson nickel set at myurl
    RayOverby
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i><STRONG>"* PCGS MS65FS 1943/2 Jefferson nickel. .... A good buy at this price and a very nice coin. 1600.00" image</STRONG>

I just missed My snipe was a half an increment too low image But I'd go $700 for yours image >>

From the picture, that coin doesn't look fully struck. IMB, it's not a 65 coin. The overall quality of strike detail of the Jefferson nickel has everything to do with the price difference between a fully struck example and a misnomer. I haven't seen Ray's coin although we did look at a pretty nice example earlier this year at a Chicago area coin show. In the Nickel Analyst book, Bern estimate's that there are fewer than 100 uncirculated examples that are fully struck! EDS examples? One can be viewed in my profile.

Leo