Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I screwed myself with PSA/DNA auto cuts

I thought that PSA/DNA would automatically encapsulate an autograph cut. Similar to what Knuckles had. They send the cards back with COA's and an f'n sticker on each card. The cards are ruined by this. I was excited when I got the package and then my heart just sank when I saw them. Too much time wasted. They were nice cards too.

Wick

Enjoy collecting vintage baseball cards, memorabilia and autos

Comments

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    In order to have autos encapsulated, you have to send them to PSA, not PSA/DNA. I know because I was about to send something to PSA/DNA for encapsulation but decided to call them just to make sure. Yep, gotta go to PSA under their "Autograph and Authentication" service.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    You would think that PSA would know that you didn't want a sticker placed directly on a card though. Sort of a common sense issue to me.
  • Options
    mudflap02mudflap02 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭
    Oops I misread - were they homemade cards or pack-pulled cut cards?
  • Options
    They were homemade cards that I thought I would make an attempt at.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    wow nice cards...what would you charge me to make a Mantle cut card if I supplied the sig?

LMK
    Kevin
  • Options
    REALLY nice quality cards! Excellent work!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• Options
    Wick,

Great job on the cards. The Cool Papa is awesome.

Also, I disagree with you. I don't feel the PSA/DNA sticker takes away from the card at all. I think it will also help you when selling the cards too. I think if you have them slabbed they are top shelf auto cut cards.

Great job.

Bob
    57 Topps (83%) 7.61
    61 Topps (100%) 7.96
    62 Parkhurst (100%) 8.70
    63 Topps (100%) 7.96
    63 York WB's (50%) 8.52
    68 Topps (39%) 8.54
    69 Topps (3%) 9.00
    69 OPC (83%) 8.21
    71 Topps (100%) 9.21 #1 A.T.F.
    72 Topps (100%) 9.39
    73 Topps (13%) 9.35
    74 OPC WHA (95%) 8.57
    75 Topps (50%) 9.23
    77 OPC WHA (86%) 8.62 #1 A.T.F.
    88 Topps (5%) 10.00
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Awesome cards wick they look great! I've never sent my stuff to PSA just to PSA/DNA. I write 'PLEASE ENCAPSULATE THESE' and highlight it on the top and on the side of the PSA/DNA form which I think I may have told you to do.. not sure though as I've told a lot of people.

I will be using PSA forms for future submissions however as it is the proper way to do it..

It's possible that the cards were too thick to encapsulate.

Nice job at any rate, post them on the Beckett Baseball boards and I'm sure you'll be asked to write a feature for the next issue. image

-Garret
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes, send them back into PSA for encapsulation, they still look great even with the sitckers.

Stingray
  • Options
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I've settled down quite a bit since I started this thread. I'm going to chalk it up as a learning experience. I realize from what you've been saying that the cards are not ruined. I sometimes try to be a perfectionist and it literally sickened me when I saw the outcome of the cards. I talked to customer service to get some more info and they said for me to send them back in and put it under the 'Reholder' request. So I will send those out as soon as possible. These will definitely not be the last cards that I do.

J.S. -- Thank you very much. I consider that a high compliment. Since I'm still experimenting, I do not want to risk having any of your auto's in danger, especially your Mantle. Also, I don't want to step on any toes here. Garret has his website up and running for submissions and I don't want to take any of his potential earnings. He found the undiscovered country and I would like him to solidify his clientel without me capturing people's curiosity with my stuff. Maybe in the future, when I get the system down to an effeicient science.

SM1 -- Thank you very much. It's the first time I tried this and I hope to actually start creating sets.

onlyPSAHockey and Stingray -- Thanks for the compliments. I did consider what you both had said and, as you read, they will be resubmitted and holdered.

Knuckles -- Garret, also, a thanks goes out to you for your compliment. I probably should have asked you some questions first. Oh, wellimage. Better luck, I guess, with all future submissions. The cards are the exact measurements of a typical sport card with the same thickness. They should have no problem holdering them. I don't know where you come up with the patience when you're searching for auto's, since they can't be over a certain dimension. I guess that's just one of the enjoyable challenges of this. I've looked at your site quite a few times and have considered purchasing some of your auto's. You've got some of my boys in there. I 'd like to do a set on Blackhawks HOFer's. Starting with the Hall and Mikita. Post a thread if you are going to any of the future Chicago Sports Collectable Shows, I would like to meet you and talk.

Same thing goes with the all the other people on this board. Once again thanks to all.

-Cheers! Wick

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Wick,

Don't worry about stepping on my toes if people want you to make a card for them and your willing to do so go right ahead as it doesn't bother me at all, making cards is more of a hobby then my real 'bread and butter'. I'm actually thinking about putting the whole thing on the back burner as I find myself too busy to make the cards. If your interested I actually have a bunch of stuff up on eBay right now LINK ending today and on Sunday. If you look at my auctions you'll notice that the 4x6 cards I made were stickered like your cards as they were too thick.. You live you learn.. I now use a thinner card stock for the 4x6+ designs. Hopefully we will meet in person some time, it would be nice to meet you in person.
  • Options
    Knuckles - did I read that correctly that you have a business making those awesome cards? I've got some cuts that I've thought about making into cards. Can you provide some info?

Jim
  • Options
    As often, now I am confused.

The PSA/DNA forms that I just filled out said just write
    on the submission forms that you want the auto-cards
    "slabbed." The slabs are "optional" and are included
    in the auth fee.

I want the autographs authenticated and then placed
    in a slab. What form do I use and who do I send it
    to?

(If I have to do those forms all over again, I may
    just keep my BIG check and spend it on something else.)

Thanks in adavnce for the straight and simple scoop.

Cher

• Options
    I think the cards look just fine sticker and all. Great cards!!
  • Options

<< <i>As often, now I am confused.

The PSA/DNA forms that I just filled out said just write
    on the submission forms that you want the auto-cards
    "slabbed." The slabs are "optional" and are included
    in the auth fee.

I want the autographs authenticated and then placed
    in a slab. What form do I use and who do I send it
    to?

(If I have to do those forms all over again, I may
    just keep my BIG check and spend it on something else.)

Thanks in adavnce for the straight and simple scoop.

Cher >>

It is confusing.

1) You send the cards (or any flat up to the size of a small postcard) to PSA/DNA (NOT PSA!)
    2) You fill out the PSA form (NOT PSA/DNA)!)
    3) You check the box that that "Autograph authentification and incapsulation". Some items can be graded. Since these are home-made, they cannot.
    4) You ignore the PSA/DNA fee schedule. You submit $20/item.

The auto goes to PSA/DNA. They review the PSA form and review the auto. If authentic, they then forward the item to PSA (which is now down the hall, used to be cross country) with a cert number affixed to the order form. I believe that they do NOT put the invisible seal on the item. PSA then grades (if applicaple-and they ignore surface damage caused by some athlete scripling on the card) and incapsulate. If no grade is assined, they simply put "authentic".

What I have never been clear on if they will incapsulate a fake card with a real auto on it. I did see a Pee Wee Reese Bowman card slabbed and listed as non-gradable-trimmed. I wonder what would have happened if no grade was requested...
  • Options
    Them some sweet cards!
    Great job!!!
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    Thanks Raymond.

This is on the PSA/DNA site.

ITEMS IN HOLDERS OR SHRINKWRAP
    Holders or shrink-wrap on items will be removed for examination from our experts. Upon completion of the authentication process, your item will be placed in its original holder. Unfortunately, we do not have the ability to wrap items again. However, in the event that the item does not have a holder, PSA/DNA will provide a protective Plexiglass holder for you at no additional charge. This feature is available for baseballs, cuts, and photographs (3x5, 5x7, 8x10).

• Options
    Great looking cards image
  • Options
    ICE9ICE9 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭
    I want to get a Thurman Munson autograph authenticated and encapsulated. Does this process (below) still work? Did the fee increase or is it still $20?

1) You send the cards (or any flat up to the size of a small postcard) to PSA/DNA (NOT PSA!)
    2) You fill out the PSA form (NOT PSA/DNA)!)
    3) You check the box that that "Autograph authentification and incapsulation". Some items can be graded. Since these are home-made, they cannot.
    4) You ignore the PSA/DNA fee schedule. You submit $20/item.
    "Must these Englishmen Live That I Might Die? Must They Live That I Might Die?" - The Blue Oyster Cult
  • Options
    Still the same deal.
  • Options
    Hey guys,

You have to join PSA Collector's Club to submit autographs for authentication the way you describe, correct? In the past I have submitted my cuts/3X5's via PSA/DNA (without being a PSA member) and paid the various fees listed on their site but that was getting expensive. It sounds like the process being described here costs $20 per card, but you have to pay the $99 subscription fee. I think it should still work out in my favor if I submit enough stuff this year.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    Wow PSA just left the window open for someone to run a huge scam....
    If they put the PSA/DNA sticker on a handmade cut sig like that someone could send in that Cool Papa Bell, get it back with the PSA/DNA sticker and then take the card apart and reasemble with a fake cut. If they did it so that it could not be taken apart they could still carefully switch the cuts. They could use Ruth, Munson, Gehrig, etc....
  • Options

<< <i>You have to join PSA Collector's Club to submit autographs for authentication the way you describe, correct? >>

I believe you do have to be a member.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    I think they look great with the stickers to. I wouldnt say they are ruined at all!

Good job making them

Matt