Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

90's SP Boxes

Do any of you know if the 90's SP boxes are commonly searched for foil cards? Is it safe to buy these boxes off ebay (given it's a seller with reasonably strong feedback)? I've never bought one before, but I've noticed that some of them are listed much higher on dealer sites vs. ebay.

Also, what's the difference between hobby boxes and regular boxes for, say, 1993 SP football? Are the odds any different for pulling the foil rookies?

Comments

• Options
    The SP boxes come shrinkwrapped with either an Upper Deck or SP logo (can't remember which) on the wrap. I've never heard of anyone searching boxes, and I imagine the shrinkwrap with the logo would be a deterrant. If you want a reputable seller, there are plenty out there. There have been threads before. I think Dave & Adam's is pretty well respected.
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.
  • Options
    I believe the odds of pulling foil rookies out of the packs are the same as any other card card in the set

OR

they came one per pack. Not quite sure which, I'd imagine it would be pretty hard to search a box for them without any stated odds.
  • Options
    Hoiloviews
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    There were no "hobby versus regular" boxes for SP, it's always been a hobby-only product. Rookies weren't SP'd in the early days, so there's a decent chance of pulling 1 or maybe 2 copies of any given card from a box. In fact, they were so regular, there's a chance they could be searched out and, depending on the year, you had a better chance of pulling 2 of a rookie. I remember grabbing stacks of packs out of 1994 SP baseball and there was a foil card in every pack that went consecutively down the stack. With 32 packs in the box and 20 foil cards, the odds are in your favor. In 1993 SP football, they were also about 1 per pack, but not 100% of the time.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay