Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sunshine and Coin Photography

In THIS THREAD I used 2 500 watt Photo Flex Lights.

Below I used Mr Sunshine. What do you guys think?

Bill

09/07/2006

Comments

• Options
    Looks good Bill, but you lose the mirrors in the fields with sunlite. Plus your neighbors think you are a freak!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    For the purposes of photography sunlight in this case was not as effective-I prefer the original image. However, in hand in the sunlight, was it not better to the eye?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Just my $0.02:

I like the color *much* better in this one, kinda like what I was finding in my direct vs. angled glass shots.

Also, while there may be more intricate detail shown in this shot, the overall look isn't as "crisp" (not quite sure how to word it).

Lastly, the shadows in this shot obsucre some of the elements, especially on the obverse.

This shot looks more genuine, but the other shot shows more about the coin.

Is there a middle ground? image
  • Options
    Definately better in hand to the eye in Sunshine.

Plus here's another example:

INSIDE SHOTS

Outside shots:

Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options

<< <i>Just my $0.02:

I like the color *much* better in this one, kinda like what I was finding in my direct vs. angled glass shots.

Also, while there may be more intricate detail shown in this shot, the overall look isn't as "crisp" (not quite sure how to word it).

Lastly, the shadows in this shot obsucre some of the elements, especially on the obverse.

This shot looks more genuine, but the other shot shows more about the coin.

Is there a middle ground? image >>

My problem here is Hign noon sunshine would probably be best but my deck is on the north side of the building and the roof would be in the way. I only get sunshine until 10:30 and at that angle it causes the shadows.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

<< <i> My problem here is Hign noon sunshine would probably be best but my deck is on the north side of the building and the roof would be in the way. I only get sunshine until 10:30 and at that angle it causes the shadows. >>

So what's the problem Bill? Move the roof image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    For whatever it's worth, I much prefer the indoor shots. I think the detail appears more fully with those photos than with the sunlight. The color also appears to be better and, as previously mentioned, the fields look so much better in the indoor pics.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    I think Mr. Sunshine wins as far as the real look of the piece. As in all photos it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.image
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks good Bill, but you lose the mirrors in the fields with sunlite. Plus your neighbors think you are a freak!!image >>

You don't have to live near Bill to think he is a freak!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Freak or not they get what they gets.image
    Bill

09/07/2006