Home Metal Detecting
Options

I'm interested in metal detecting

I'd like to know some things about the hobby before I run out and buy a detector.

1. Do you guys find yourselves getting bored or frustrated quickly when detecting?
2. What depths are these detectors capable of detecting metal at?
3. Obviously you can't just go digging up peoples yards, so what are some good places to go detecting? (beaches, wood chip lots ect.)
4. What do these things use for power? Is it a removable rechargeable battery or what?
5. Have any of you ever tried to sell some of the stuff you have found?

Comments

• Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    1. Do you guys find yourselves getting bored or frustrated quickly when detecting?

image No image.
    Of course one gets frustrated sometimes when a promising looking site yields nothing but trash, but that's part of the hobby.. After a run of bad luck you appreciate the good finds even more..

2. What depths are these detectors capable of detecting metal at?

That depends on the detector and the type of search coil you use. More expensive detectors generally have more depth, and a large search coil adds depth too. But typically some ~10 inches for a coin size target and deeper than that for bigger objects

3. Obviously you can't just go digging up peoples yards, so what are some good places to go detecting? (beaches, wood chip lots ect.)

A beach is a good place to start, lots of targets, easy to dig and (in most cases) no permission needed. Gives you a chance to practice pinpointing the targets and learning what different targets sound like.

4. What do these things use for power? Is it a removable rechargeable battery or what?

Batteries (typically 4 or 8 AA-size batteries). Rechargeable battery packs are also available for many detectors. Detectors are quite power-conserving though (particularly when using headphones), so you get some 40 hours of detecting out of a set of non-chargeable batteries too. I mainly use those.

5. Have any of you ever tried to sell some of the stuff you have found? >>

No. Coins I wouldn't sell as I collect them.
    If I found some expensive modern jewelry I probably would sell it though (assuming I'd be unsuccessful in finding the owner)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Zot gave some good answer's for you.

On the subject of place's to hunt,you could hit park's,sidewalk's that have been ripped out to be repaired(got to hit them quick),demo's if you are wanting to find old coin's,relic's or bottle's.

Another good thing is to find a detecting club in your area and talk to them as they will be able to help you out better and may even take you out and let you try it.HH,Tom
  • Options
    1) NO WAY!
    2) depends on the detector. Some can go 6"-12" down for a coin sized object, and maybe 2' for caches. While other detectors (2-box- detectors) can detect down to 20' +. Those are used for cache hunting and to find vents of metal ore.
    3) Those places you listed are all good spots. Old Churches, parks, former carnival/fair sites, football fields, baseball fields, or other sport field, demolition sites. and more. I suggest you buy this book if you want a more indepth book on where to find treasure:Where to Find Treasure, by Dick Stout. I have it, it really helped me. Unfourtunately, I think it just went out of print as i have not seen it on White's(metal detector manufacturer, who also sells books and videos on the topic) website anymore. Not even a out of stock sign, so that's what I'm guessing. Try Amazon or Ebay.
    4) Depends on the detector. Mine (Whites Prizm III) uses 2 9-volt batteries, while other, top of the line ones use rechargable battery packs.
    5)Not yet, but I'm planning to after I can get out more and find more things.

As Zot said, if you find jewlery or something else that the owner can be tracked down with, do the right thing and hive it back to them. If you can't find the owner, then it's yours to keep. Atleast give it an effort.

Here's some suggestions on starter metal detectors:
    My favorite, the White's Prizm series. Great for beginners and pros alike.
    The Garrett Ace series. Also a good detector for beginners and pros.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    konsolekonsole Posts: 788 ✭✭✭
    ok thanks for the replies