Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's the best way to sell "those cards"???

Okay, let me start by saying I realize all of you won't buy anything "modern" so I don't really need a I TOLD YOU SO here. I buy modern and somewhat vintage, my last eBay purchase was a 1969 Reggie RC in PSA 7. But I like to crack open a box about once a month too.

That being said, I've accumulated a lot of cards over the last few years that have a book value but not necessarily a "real" value that matches. Just wondering what most of you thought might be the best way to maximize a profit when selling these cards??

You know what cards I mean. Stars that have a BV of $5 to $10, Gold and Refractor cards that have a nice book value too. Semi stars out every room of my house, with inserts that are numbered and some that aren't, autographs of semistars and enough game used bats and jerseys to assemble my own uniform.

Buy a $100+ box and get a Barry Bonds or a Peyton Manning, and they might have a book value of $8. But it doesn't seem worth my time or money to list them invidually on Ebay. Put them together in a lot and you won't get a nickel on the dollar, so you feel like you're giving them away.

Anyone know a good way to maximize selling price on cards like this??? Or are they virtually worthless and it shouldn't matter. I just hate to give them away, because even a Duce Staley game used jersey should be worth more than my '88 topps commons, right?

Thanks for any help. Shawn.

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Donate them to a childrens hospital or salvation army and write them off. That way some kid will benefit and you can feel you didn't give them a way. I have 30,000 1986 Topps cards I am going to do that with
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    it costs .25 cents to list something on ebay starting at .99 cents.. just list the cards as what they are and start 'em at 99cents..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    Good idea zef on the commons and semistars, I can give those away.

But low dollar game used and autos??? Just give them away?? If that's the case, I shouldn't be buying any boxes at all.

As far as listing on ebay for a quarter, that would work for the game used and autos, I'm sure I'd get a bid in a seven day time period.

But what about the hundreds of #'d topps gold and/or refractors???

Surely there's someone out there looking to complete a set. I'm afraid if I ebay'd them, I'd list 100 cards and just get a handful of bids in a week. Anyone tried an ebay store and had any luck? Anyone know of anyone who would buy 50,000 modern day cards in bulk lot for a fair price???

Just seems if I took 30 Arod cards, they would have a "book" value of near $100. If I put them on eBay, I'd be lucky to get $10.

Is Beckett useless, or are "those other cards"??
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    eBay store... 1st month free, .02 listings for BIN, it's amazing how much stuff I sell on there. Just list them cheap with cheap shipping and you'll be amazed how many you sell in a month.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i> I shouldn't be buying any boxes at all.

>>

You figured out the hobby!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i> I shouldn't be buying any boxes at all.

>>

You figured out the hobby! >>

I agree. And "book" value means nothing. Just like SMR on 6,7,and 8's means nothing. If you feel that just by listing these cards you wont get "book" value then they likely aren't worth "book" value.

I have friends all the time telling me, "I have a n87 bonds" or "an 89 Jordan," and they are stunned when I tell them unless their card is in the 99+%ile that it is worth a few buccks at most, and they look at me like I am speaking french(not capitalized on purpose).

I think that game used and auto cards of the common, and not saying ARod would be a common in 1978 but in todays market his GU and autos are common, is only worth a couple of bucks.

This hobby has changed and the book means very little anymore. eBay dictates the value of a card moreso than a price guide if you aren't looking at 1 or 2 examples of a given card. Look at the de-value of PSA 8's from the late 50's thru the 70's where SMR or Beckett has them listed at X and the sell for 50% of X.

I think you are better off donating them and writing off the whole thing rather than taking the time to make $.40-$.50 per card. That is just from my POV where I am doing this from collecting FIRST and hoping to get a bit back from cards I don't need SECOND.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice...all of you.

Couple of quick questions/comments:

If the cards are donated, what is a fair amount to write off?? Book value, even if I know I could never realize that price??

I like the idea of an eBay store for the other things. Maybe I should be clear on the cards I need to sell. The cards are more cards I don't want than cards that are actual commons. Commons to the Salvation Army, but there is some value to the others.

I may have no desire for a Pujols game used or a Clemens refractor or a Bob Feller autograph, but I'm sure someone out there does. And if the eBay store is that cheap, it may be my best way to sell them off. And although they'll never realize actual book value (which I realize means nothing and is hardly even a guide) they are worth a few bucks. I'm just ultimately trying to clear some room of things that aren't at the top of my want list and save a few bucks for my next PSA purchase. But every once in a while I get that urge to crack open a wax box, and it's like a sickness I can't overcome.

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    Where does 1 go to donate specifically? I would love to do that.

Julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    SDavidSDavid Posts: 1,584 ✭✭
    I think I would rather set up at a card show instead of taking the time to scan and list them all individually on ebay. Collectors will buy those cards. The problem with selling them on ebay is that a large percentage of what they're willing to pay will go to the post office, not you.
  • Options
    I have put some small groups of say 4 related cards up on the bay. Say all graded PSA 8 and from the same set. Or perhaps same player diferent years and manufacturer. Try to put 1 better card in the group and keep it at a value of say $50 - $75. I learnd quick you can not sell an unpopular card at .99 start. Better to start a group at 9.99. Just my opinion. Joe
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>I have put some small groups of say 4 related cards up on the bay. Say all graded PSA 8 and from the same set. Or perhaps same player diferent years and manufacturer. Try to put 1 better card in the group and keep it at a value of say $50 - $75. I learnd quick you can not sell an unpopular card at .99 start. Better to start a group at 9.99. Just my opinion. Joe >>

Good advice. I have done the same, but mostly I was just looking to move the cards - anything I got for them was a bonus.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I am sorting some cards into lots, like 50 or 60 cards of John Olerud, or moses malone and going to start them at 9.99. I have never tried this, but I need to make soem room in my house, and earn a couple of dollars. Those 9.99's add up, especially if you leave it in paypal cause your anal about the fees for transfers!
  • Options

<< <i>eBay store... 1st month free, .02 listings for BIN, it's amazing how much stuff I sell on there. Just list them cheap with cheap shipping and you'll be amazed how many you sell in a month. >>

How much does eBay charge for the following months??

Is their percentage similar to what they take in an auction?

Maybe I should try this and realize how hard it is to move this stuff, then realize my pipe dream of actually opening a brick and morter store is a ridiculous idea.

Shawn
  • Options

<< <i>Where does 1 go to donate specifically? I would love to do that.

Julen >>

Any big city has drop of depots and they give you a form to fill out for your records. You need that for tax purposes. My folks live about 30 miles outside Chicago and they call either Salvation Army or Purple Hearts once a year or so and arrange a pick up at their house.

The other thing you could do is call a childrens' hospital and see how you could donate them there.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Here locally we have a Shriners Children's hospital. By far the best way to get rid of cards. If you've got any lying around, unopened boxes are like gold to the kids. You should see the look on a kid's face when he pulls an '87 Topps Bonds Rookie---- priceless.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>Okay, let me start by saying I realize all of you won't buy anything "modern" so I don't really need a I TOLD YOU SO here. I buy modern and somewhat vintage, my last eBay purchase was a 1969 Reggie RC in PSA 7. But I like to crack open a box about once a month too.

That being said, I've accumulated a lot of cards over the last few years that have a book value but not necessarily a "real" value that matches. Just wondering what most of you thought might be the best way to maximize a profit when selling these cards??

You know what cards I mean. Stars that have a BV of $5 to $10, Gold and Refractor cards that have a nice book value too. Semi stars out every room of my house, with inserts that are numbered and some that aren't, autographs of semistars and enough game used bats and jerseys to assemble my own uniform.

Buy a $100+ box and get a Barry Bonds or a Peyton Manning, and they might have a book value of $8. But it doesn't seem worth my time or money to list them invidually on Ebay. Put them together in a lot and you won't get a nickel on the dollar, so you feel like you're giving them away.

Anyone know a good way to maximize selling price on cards like this??? Or are they virtually worthless and it shouldn't matter. I just hate to give them away, because even a Duce Staley game used jersey should be worth more than my '88 topps commons, right?

Thanks for any help. Shawn. >>

HELLO SHAWN,

HAVE YOU TAKEN THE TIME TO SEE IF THERE ARE ANY OF YOUR CARDS ALREADY LISTED FOR AUCTION ON EBAY? AND IF SO, WHAT DOES THE BIDDING LOOK LIKE? IF YOU SEE THAT BIDS ARE TO YOUR SATISFACTION, THEN BY ALL MEANS, GO A HEAD AND LIST THE ITEMS THAT ARE GETTING SATISFACTORY BIDDING ACTION. YOU CAN SEND A MESSAGE TO ALL THE EBAYERS THAT BID ON SIMULAR ITEMS, AND GIVE THEM AN ADVANCE LISTING OF WHAT YOU ARE PROPOSING TO LIST ON EBAY. YOU MAY WANT TO SAY SOMETHING LIKE THIS, "IF THERE IS ANY ITEM(S) YOU DESIRE BEFORE I LIST IT, PLEASE LET ME KNOW". MAYBE YOU CAN GET LUCKY? AND SELL SOME?

GOOD LUCK! rbd
  • Options
    I would not recommend contacting ebay members who bid on similiar cards you may be selling. let them find your auction on their own. it's a good way to piss people off and get kicked off of ebay.