Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Holy Moly The GEM 8 Card Was a PSA 8 After All

Hi
Just got my cards back from the October special. One of them was a Yount RC graded 8 by GEM that I picked up for an embarrassingly low price.
I was too cheap to pay the crossover grade, so I cracked the case and submitted it raw. I thought for sure that it would come back as trimmed or something - although to my amateur eye the card looked NM-MT with no signs of tampering.

Sure enough the card graded PSA 8 NQ. I did a little dance in the Post Office parking lot - proving once more that straight white men can't dance.

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Good job!

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

Awesome. Besides the fact the card wasn't trimmed, its amazing they accurately graded it. Now you kids at home don't go trying this as this is a perfessional buyer on an experimental track.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations!

Looks like Gem screwed up and graded a good card!

nice pick up!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    I'm still not buying any more GEM 10s image
  • Options
    I bought one GEM 10 a few yesrs ago just to test this company out. It ended up being very short. It was an 1986 Topps Jerry Rice RC that I got for cheap.
  • Options
    gregm13gregm13 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought one GEM 10 a few yesrs ago just to test this company out. It ended up being very short. It was an 1986 Topps Jerry Rice RC that I got for cheap. >>

I experimented buying a 1988 Starting Line Up Dan Marino GEM 10. I cracked and submitted and it came back trimmed. What's funny is that I submitted a 2nd 1988 SLU card that I pulled from an unopened packaged and it came back trimmed also. On my next submission, I resubmitted the "trimmed" SLU that I had personally pulled and it came back a PSA 10....too funny.

The question that I have about the GEM 10 SLU Marino is.....who the hell would trim this card (since raw it's only worth $10 to $20)??? That was my rationale when I bought the card but was proved wrong.

Regards,

Greg M.
    Collecting vintage auto'd fb cards and Dan Marino cards!!

References:
    Onlychild, Ahmanfan, fabfrank, wufdude, jradke, Reese, Jasp, thenavarro
    E-Bay id: greg_n_meg
  • Options

<< <i>straight white men can't dance >>

...what are you saying? Are you saying gay white men CAN dance? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)... What about gay BLACK men...does it work in reverse?

Congratulations on the Yount RC. I have had amazing luck myself with the third-tier grading companies in cross-over where a large scan has been provided...that is always helpful. What does a Yount PSA 8 RC sell for typically?
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>straight white men can't dance >>

...what are you saying? Are you saying gay white men CAN dance? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)... What about gay BLACK men...does it work in reverse?

<< <i>

I know one who's got one arm and spells backwards - believe me, he can dance.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    ·p_A·