Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Raw coin source Modern?

I have been collecting for quite a number of years, and was wondering what the people on the board consider the best source for raw bulk coins.
For instance state quarters, are you having better luck buying from the mint or bank rolls, or what do you consider to be the best source
for higher grade coins?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banks?

peacockcoins

• Options
    You can get satin finish coins from the mint and smooth finish business strikes from bank rolls. I found one of the two ms68 2005P Lincoln business strikes this year from bank rolls. I had to search through 5 boxes to do it. I think the mint has gotten some new equipment in that shakes and rattles the coins around so as to put a maximum number of scratches and dings on them. It seems like they purposely try to ding them up for us collectors.
    image Monster Wavy Steps Rule! - 1999, WSDDR-015, 1999P-1DR-003 - 2 known
    My EBay Store/Auctions
  • Options

<< <i>You can get satin finish coins from the mint and smooth finish business strikes from bank rolls. I found one of the two ms68 2005P Lincoln business strikes this year from bank rolls. I had to search through 5 boxes to do it. I think the mint has gotten some new equipment in that shakes and rattles the coins around so as to put a maximum number of scratches and dings on them. It seems like they purposely try to ding them up for us collectors. >>

Yes I agree. I am thinking about just buying bank rolls this year on the state quarters, and dropping the subscriptions from the
    mint. Most of the state quarters I got from the mint this year were trash, including some of the 1000 coin bags which were mixed
    with business strike and satin finish. The rolls seem to be even worse.
    I was really upset with the decision to go with satin finish for the mint sets which really screwed up the year.
    Thanks for the input.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The finest coins of most dates are in the mint sets.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I have had good luck with the mint rolls vs. mint bags and vs. bank rolls. They are spendy but if you pop a few nice coins it more than makes up for it. I have made more than a few POP 1's and 2's this way.
  • Options

<< <i>I have had good luck with the mint rolls vs. mint bags and vs. bank rolls. They are spendy but if you pop a few nice coins it more than makes up for it. I have made more than a few POP 1's and 2's this way. >>

That is where I am heading. Mint rolls and bank rolls, the bags from the mint are really trash as of late.
    Thanks for the input.