Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

OH NO! NGC DOES NOT CROSS OVER 2 OF MY 14 PCGS COINS!!

who says NGC is more lenient than PCGS???

For those of you who post here frequently, you probably know that I sent in a set of 14 PR69DCAM PCGS coins to crossover at NGC and put in 3 multi-coin holders. Well, out of the 14 coins that I sent in, 2 of the 14 DID NOT CROSS OVER.

2005 Lincoln Cent
2005 Bison Nickel
2005 Ocean View Nickel - DID NOT CROSS - PR68DCAM
2005 Roosevelt Dime
2005 Kennedy Half Dollar

2005 KS State Quarter - DID NOT CROSS - PR68DCAM
2005 WV State Quarter
2005 CA State Quarter
2005 OR State Quarter
2005 MN State Quarter

2005 Sacagawea $1
2005 Silver American Eagle
2005 Marines Commemorative $1
2005 John Marshall Commemorative $1

It's too bad PCGS does not guarantee that coins will cross at NGC image

So, I have put a hold on the project until I send in two 69DCAM's to replace them (because I am a perfectionist!).

Would you all buy the two coins in NGC holders just to be safe? Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never had a PCGS coin cross to NGC, but I am 100% going from NGC to PCGS.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought PCGS and NGC had slightly different standards for the DCAM designation, with one favoring mirror depth and the other favoring frostiness. Just don't ask me to remember which was which. Anyway, that may be why those two coins didn't cross.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Toby, your project might work out better if you had Capital Plastics do it. Realistically, having PR69DCAM or PR68DCAM or even PR67DCAM on the coins won't make a bit of difference to the eye appeal and enjoyment your little girl will get from owning these beautiful coins from her birth year. I bet Capital Plastics could design a very nice custom holder 8 x 14 that would hold all 14 coins together and probably print some nice title also. Give it some thought. Steveimage
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent suggestion Steve! But if Ellwood wants them in a NGC holder, I would default to geting NGC rated coins. And, I bet it would be cheaper than buying PCGS coins!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    Just picked up both coins in NGC holders...69UCAM's...that way I won't have to pay to have them crossed and/or graded. They will just pop them out and put them in the new multi-coin holders for me! Steve, I never knew that option with Capital Plastics existed. I looked over a bunch of photographs of the NGC Multi-coin Holders and I thought they looked very nice. Plus, Scott and Nikki at NGC have been a tremendous help and they are going to customize the labels on the holders for me. They would have finished the holders today IF all the coins crossed. It's been less than 2 weeks. Pretty quick turnaround time in my opinion!

Steve, I'll keep the CP thing in mind for future sets. Do they have a website:
  • Options
    Take it across the street.

• Options
    Toby,
    Nice job! image I'm glad you went the extra mile and aquired the 69 UCAMS. You wouldn't of been
    happy with two lessor grades. Be sure to post some images when this set arrives. Congratulations to you
    and Emily Ann.image

BTW, your registry set 2005D is incredible. I still haven't aquired this coin. I just can't seem to have any
    luck on this date. Buckley has made me the underbidder numerous times. And if he's not around, the coins
    seem to have several distractions. Did that coin come out of a mint set? What a beauty.

Talk With Ya Later,
    RegistryNut image
  • Options
    INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    Ellewood, please post pics when you receive the holders.
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • Options
    RegistryNut,

Check out my Old Post. Believe it or not, I bought 10 sets from the mint...went thru and picked out the four nicest lincolns I could find. I sent in two 2005-P's and two 2005-D's under a free submission. They came back with 3 69's and a 68! I wish I had another 2005-D in 69 to sell you but I only landed one! The others I sold on eBay...

I would bet that if you bought ten UNOPENED sets, you could probably find one yourself and then sell off the other sets (despite the fact that they are opened!

INXS,

I plan to post pictures of the 3 multi-coin holders here when I receive them.

Numonebuyer,

Unfortunately, I DID have to take it across the street for my daughter's multi-holders. My heart still lies here at PCGS..especially with my lincoln sets. image