Home Metal Detecting
Options

Found: Big pile of dirt loaded with goodies

Made up for my recent drought in a big way today, and about doubled my years total of silver quarters.
Went to this construction site that I've just been to once before .. Not the one near downtown Detroit.
Theres at least 20 acres or so of freshly turned dirt, craters, holes ect. I spent about 2 hours and found a little bit of nothing.
I did find this "Oakland" badge in the 2nd pic, says 'Product of General Motors.
GM is pretty big around here, obviously, as is the name Oakland ... Offhand I can't think of the Oakland association with a GM product. Anyone ?
Anyways, the weather was pretty nice, except for gail force winds.
Blew my hat off a dozen times, about knocked me off my feet, and made it hard to hear the detector, and added quite a chilling effect.
So I was detecting back towards my truck, and made a passing sweep at a 4 ft mound of dirt. Detector started jingling like a dime store Santa on Christmas eve, so I started scooping dirt.
Found 3 quarters right off the bat, and proceeded to dig around another half hour until I had to go, and found another 2.
Two Standing Libs, both 1925, and 3 Washingtons, 47,51 & 55.
This spot won't be available much longer - Footings, rebar and forms are all around, waiting for the cement to be poured, probably this week. So I shall try to return, to see what else I might be able to rescue from eternal doom underground [with any luck, I just might be working there - Concrete forms are right up my alley].

JJ

Comments

• Options
    Answered my own question I guess

" General Motors purchases a half interest in Oakland Motor Car Co. on January 20, 1909. When its founder, Edward Murphy, passes away the following summer, his company comes under the full control of General Motors. In 1932, the Oakland name is dropped from the vehicle line and Pontiac becomes the name of the division."
    JJ
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice find on the quarters. Did you flatten the mound of dirt? or do you think that there are more there?
  • Options
    Sweet finds!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    That must of been a great day! WTG....
  • Options
    Thanks for the inpiut folks - Pocket, I didn't flatten it as its a mound about 4ft by 8 ft, and it actually get pretty compacted a few inches in.
    Unfortunatly it doesn't look like I'll be able to check it some more, unless I make a night foray sometime soon.
    I would be suprised it that pile of dirt held no more goodies.
    JJ
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the luck that you had at that mound I think that I would be back with a shovel or something and get it down. It would be hard to leave a pile like that.
  • Options
    Nice going on all the quarter's JJ!!I think I would try and hit that pile some more,as you said do a night recon on it and take a rake or shovel to move some of the dirt around.HH,Tom
  • Options
    VERY NICE........HIT THAT PILE SOME MORE
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    WOW! You found all that in one pile of dirt! Awesome!

If I were you, I'd head back there tomarrow and recheck that pile. You might get even more. I've heard of things like this happening on beaches, because I do so much reserch on the wrecks of 1715 and 1733, but never on a construction site. It happens on beaches due to the increased wind and the tides.

edited to add.
    Happy Hunting!image
  • Options
    Between my work schedule & kids, plus the near freezing weather and unpredictability of construction sites, it looks like whatever else that might have been there will remain a mystery for quite some time. - Locked for generations to come under concrete and asphalt.
    I'm not very happy about this situation - I had nearly the whole month of October free of work, with great weather, and I didn't do a thing until the last moment.
    Oh well, you live and you learn.
    On the + side, some lucky guy 150 years from now might find some very old silver there, and be even happier about it than me.
    JJ