Home Metal Detecting

Made a couple of cool find's!!

Well went on a road trip and hunted with a buddy today.He took me around to some spot's that had been turning up some good find's.Well I got a few,but not alotimage
The first thing I found was this nice clay pipe that eyeballed right off the bat when I jumped into this small pit.

Then later on while hunting another lot,which was slow and all I was finding was soda can's imageI started walking back toward's his truck and just as I get there I find this luggage tag.
It say's:
The Yellowstone
22 Montg.St

Thank's for looking and HH,Tom

Comments

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That pipe is cool.Looks like bone.
    Al
  • Nice pipe Tom! I've never found that type before. We find a few stemless clay pipes (a hollow bamboo reed is affixed to them) here but I rarely see any like yours.

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Grip it is a clay pipe,you will find alot of these in dump/outhouse site's.They would have a long stem on them,when it got clogged,they would break it off bellow the clogged area and use it some more till it couldn't go any further.

Hey GR thank's.This one has Murray as the maker.I believe it may have come from England as this is where most were made.This is the first that I found with that much stem on it.I believe thse were made around the 1860's up till probally the late 1800's.
    Some have some really neat carving's on them or even made with a face on them.HH,Tom
  • We call them tavern pipes. I don't know why but that is what most folks call them here.

Here's a few on Flee-bay Tavern pipes
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage