Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

On Monday Nov. 7, 2005 numismatic history was made.

This was just posted across the street and here is a link to The SET Also updated was J & L's 144 piece set. Both sets now reside atop the NGC
Registry placing Bingham at #2. A big congratulations to Larry on his new additions to his sets.

Set Name: J & L Commem Type Set
Set Description: On Monday Nov. 7, 2005 numismatic history was made. The Las Vegas collection, assembled by David Schweitz was purchased through the King of Commems, Mr. Larry Shepherd of SIMCO. J & L, Bill Johnson of Pahrump Coins, NV and Larry Shepherd then using only the best coins from each of these WORLD CLASS COLLECTIONS created the most technically perfect, highest graded with spectacular eye appeal set of the 50 Commem Type Set ever known. The set also includes both Norse Thin and Thick along with Prf. Columbian in 66. Please take a moment of your time and share with us the beauty of this set. Our hopes are that someday a book be written on the set and high resolution photos be used as plate coins in the publication. Enjoy------

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they each own the individual coins themselves, then it's more along the lines of the traveling PCGS Morgan set - pretty to look at but not a serious accomplishment.

If they're partners in the set where ownership is evenly spread across the board, then I suppose that might be view differently.
  • Options
    I'm not clear regarding who owns what???image
  • Options
    Some real cool coins in that set...
    Bruce Scher
  • Options
    gents...its very clear

larry shepherd broker a deal for z willy to buy davod scweitz`s commem set

as all of you know david paid huge money for his coins and z willie paid much more than i could afford...cant get easier than that

remember he paid

69,000 for the 26-p oregon as well as numerous others....like the lafayette.....boone in 69.....ark.....bridgeport.....new rochell.....isabella...

infact he had over a 30,000 average for his coins.......i know as we all made him pay for most of them in auctions....remember the ngc 66 cleveland...he turned down 35,000 for it several times

this was a landmark deal in commems and just another indicator of what people will pay for great coins .as if we all didnt know that already........and it just verifies what great coins will bring

my congrats to dr. john and bill for putting together such a monster....that neing said i guess i have to roll up my sleeves and get busy...........i have sold many coins to dr.john and he knew very well that i kept my main coins which are the best ones ...and i sold him my dups...... but with this stellar deal he purchased he now resides on the top of the heap............great job doc and bill

i guess i will have to play the upgrade game now if i want to catch ya...:-)

monsterman
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

out of rockets ...out of bullets...switching to harsh language
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not clear regarding who owns what???

Agreed. I guess I got the impression from the writeup that it was two dealers 'loaning' their best coins into a combined set - a violation of the spirit of the Registry. But if they sold their best coins to a third party who owns the set, then I can only say 'cool'!
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations guys, that is some maginificent set to behold. It would indeed be great if someone would publish a small book about that set with high quality photos. And hopefully the new owner is a collector who will keep it intact for a long time to come.
    Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Nice coins. Had never seen an MS 69 Commem or a proof Columbian. Andy
  • Options
    Wow. I ran across this today and saw the set and was clicking around the site and found another way to view the set that seems much better

Got to this through the ranking list
    Numisnewb
  • Options
    here is a nice proof but i am digitally challenged so maybe somebody might go here and make it work

monsterman

.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/coin_detail.asp?PeopleCoinID=18745&PeopleSetID=1464
    my goal is to find the monsters and i go where they are but i sometimes miss some.... so if you have any and want to sell IM THE BUYER FOR THEM!!!

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Purdy.....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    STEWARTBLAYNUMISSTEWARTBLAYNUMIS Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi gregg,

How come you didn't get a cameo designation on the Colombian ?
    Who is Davod Scweitz ?

Stewart
  • Options
    stew

>>>>How come you didn't get a cameo designation on the Colombian ?

graded before there was such a thing

david is a good friend of mine and is a dealer from colorado via vegas

he has the eye and bult a monster set and bought everything monster.....now i have to go play the game and upgrade my coins.........its been several years so its time...........

gregg

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "as all of you know david paid huge money for his coins"

"Huge" from the standpoint of the numerical grade on the holder in the auction (e.g. the NGC-MS66 Cleveland / PCGS-MS68 you mentioned), but dirt cheap for what the coins "really were" (to become slabbed). DS's ability to have the vision of what the coin will grade (present holder notwithstanding)- DH summed up the talent best "world class".

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It would indeed be great if someone would publish a small book about that set with high quality photos. And hopefully the new owner is a collector who will keep it intact for a long time to come. >>

I couldn't AGREE more!!!image I would image for someone to produce a coffee table book of the most incredible color-toned commems on the planet! IMHO, it would be a successful production. Congratulations to Z Willie for acquiring what can only be described as a "Pinnacle Treasured Ensemble"! I am just a "little Indian" among "Chiefs" when it comes to these color-toned treasured collections but I am very proud and pleased with what I have assembled thus far in a very short time. To have the pleasure of viewing such collections as Z Willie, My friend Mr. Binghamimage, The Cali Collection, my friend commemanimage, as well as others, is truly awe-inspiring and creates great excitement in the pursuit of finding future treasures. I have stated before and I will state again, I have participated in many great hobbies over the years including vintage baseball cards, vintage comic books, Civil War artifacts, etc., but, these little round pieces of colorful 50c commemorative silver are by far the most image "pieces of history" that I have had the pleasure of collecting. I have also absorbed some valueable input from the likes of Gregg B., where the most important aspect of putting together an astounding collection is simple...patience!image
    image...There's always time for coin collecting. image