Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dumb PVC question...

I did a search on this but couldn't find an answer.

I'm in the process of revamping my coin storage. I've bought a boatload of Saflips and inert pages to place them in. The problem is that the pages are so damned flimsy. My local dealer has stocks much sturdier, stiffer pages, but they contain PVC.

By placing a coin into a Saflip, is it protected from the effects of PVC in the pages, since the coin is not actually in contact with the page?

If that's still not a viable option, can anyone recommend archival-safe 20- and 12-pocket pages that are fairly heavy gauge that won't break the bank?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    As long as the coin is already in a protective flip, it shouldn't be affected by PVC in the pages.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Apparently, ICCS shares the same opinion judging from their flips.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    The only question I would ask is 'are the Saflips airtight'? The damage from flips that contain PVC is from outgassing of the PVC, so if the SAFlips are not airtight, then you can still get damage from the gases released from PVC flip.

I believe that ICCS gets away with this because thier inner flips are sealed and shouldn't pass the gases from the PVC outer container.
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only question I would ask is 'are the Saflips airtight'? The damage from flips that contain PVC is from outgassing of the PVC, so if the SAFlips are not airtight, then you can still get damage from the gases released from PVC flip.

I believe that ICCS gets away with this because thier inner flips are sealed and shouldn't pass the gases from the PVC outer container. >>

This is actually a moot point since all plastics are gas permeable. Unless the coin is contained in a glass envelope with a vacuum, it is not "air tight". The outer PVC flip will not cause a chlorine reaction if kept in the manner you descibe.

The keys are minimizing the sulfur near the coin's environment, keeping the storage area dry with a dessicant and at a constant temperature, and out of direct sunlight.

Archival Products
  • Options
    In my opinion, PVC should not be used ANYWHERE. The real danger is not PVC itself but when it breaks down to gas into some form of chlorine gas, that is where the danger appears. Even though your other plastics may seem to protect your coins, clorine gas itself is very reactive and even in trace amounts, it would be happily eating away...
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I believe that ICCS gets away with this because thier inner flips are sealed and shouldn't pass the gases from the PVC outer container. >>

Why does every thread have to have something about passing gas in it?
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, PVC should not be used ANYWHERE.

It is best to err on the side of caution. PVC outgassing HCl/Cl2 is a real environmental issue in areas besides numismatics.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I have gold and silver coins in an album. The silver coins have this green residue on them. The gold coins are fine. I think the album is PVC laden. Are my gold coins destroyed? Can I clean the silver coins with a series of acetone rinses?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Gold is a relatively inert metal, attacked by few chemicals. Aqua regia (combination of concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acids) and cyanide salts will do the trick. Since these are not typical household chemicals (except for those homes containing psychopaths), your gold is essentially safe.

There is some amount of copper in gold and that could be attacked, so spotting might be possible in some cases.

The only way I can think to use PVC safely is to keep your environment bone dry. It's the moisture in combination with the outgassing of HCl/Cl2 that really exacerbates the problem. Since keeping the environment dry is usually an issue in most parts of the world, PVC should be avoided.

Silver coins can be stripped of the plastic using acetone (or toluene), but the etching that has taken place is irreversible. The coins can not be restored to their original state. Removing the plastic only halts the etching process from doing further damage.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.