Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Poll: Would PCGS coins command the same market premium if NGC coins were allowed in the PCGS Registr

Thanks for participating image

Comments

• Options
    Of course they wouldn't.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess that the Registry involves just a tiny fraction of all of the PCGS coins ever graded. I doubt that the Registry is the big driving factor behind the market for certified coins.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Top Pops might take a little hit. Overall PCGS graded coins would hold up IMO.

Ken
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Another forum member and I were discussing the possibility of a more noticeable divergence in grading of certain series' PCGS and NGC coins.

I can't necessarily say that I would prefer an equally graded PCGS versus NGC coin (generally speaking, of course) as comfortably as I could say a year/two ago.

In fact in certain instances/dimensions it appears as though NGC might actually be tougher.

But because the lack of NGC's ability for inclusion in to a PCGS registry set...well, you get the rest (basically the topic of this poll).

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course not. All it takes for the premium to fall (just a bit) is one PCGS collector that settles for one NGC coin.

A more interesting issue is the extent to which the premium would fall.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Buy the coins not the holders.
    The two companies have different grading standards. For me, the premium comes from the standard differences.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • Options

<< <i>A more interesting issue is the extent to which the premium would fall. >>

That IS interesting image
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I think the premium on upper grades, those likely to be placed in Registry sets, would drop noticeably. There would be no need for the PCGS Registry if it allowed NGC coins, would only duplicate what is already in the NGC Registry.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy the coins not the holders.
    The two companies have different grading standards. For me, the premium comes from the standard differences. >>

I agree with this statement.

However, I will say that it would have a substantial effect on some coins like PR70 material, where the difference between a 70 and a 69 is only on the holder. If I could finish my 09-present proof Lincoln set out with NGC PR70's at $100 each, I would gladly do so.

At the other end of the spectrum, there is as much as 2 points difference consistently in the grading standard between PCGS and NGC on 09-68 proof Lincolns. Some 50-58 NGC DCAM's may not even get a Cameo at PCGS. The differences are huge at that end.
    Doug
  • Options
    <<Some 50-58 NGC DCAM's may not even get a Cameo at PCGS>>

Some PCGS DCAM's might not CAM at PCGS (either) if they were cracked out and resubmitted back to PCGS.

• Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    If you really buy the coin as I have seen written many times, it should simply cross. With that said. I don't think it matters if they allow them or not.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no. This is my answer for the most part (if PCGS allowed NGC coins in their program) but there will still be situations where PCGS coins would still get the strong money.

I think that the real collectors will strive to find a coin with the best strike and eye appeal no matter what name is on the slab. That said, there are "IMO" a good few that are caught up in the race to compete to 100% completion or at least for numbers in the registry craze.

I do see your point that if NGC coins were allowed that coins in higher grades in PCGS slabs could not be sold for moon money because of the ability to buy from another grading company. I do still think as stated by others here that in several series that PCGS has a higher standard and it takes a coin with more flash (like originality and eye appeal) to make it into their holders.

Ken
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The PCGS coins are better coins. It has nothing to do with the registry. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.