Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

'75 OPC Billy Williams PSA 9 & '75 OPC Al Kaline PSA 10 WOW!

It is not the best looking PSA 9, but still pretty rare!

Billy Williams Scan 49 bucks for it is pretty cool! Just how rare is this card?

1975 Topps has 209 graded PSAs, with 52 PSA 9s (SMR = $150)
1975 OPC has 5 graded PSAs, with only one PSA 9! (SMR = ???) Thats a tuffy! image

Also picked this up tonite! 1975 OPC #4 HL Al Kaline PSA 10
(Setting me back 500 bucks!)

rbd

Comments

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Are you going to pay the guy for the Kaline? >>

Yeah! LOL! >>

Good guy!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    SMR on most '75 Topps is a joke. I'd guess that many PSA 9s trade for about 1/5 to 1/3 of SMR.

Nice cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbd
    Really nice Kaline!

You are a buying machine!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

<< <i>SMR on most '75 Topps is a joke. I'd guess that many PSA 9s trade for about 1/5 to 1/3 of SMR.

Nice cards. Nick >>

Nick, a few years ago, SMR price for a 1976 Topps PSA 9 common was $40. You can easily pick-up a PSA 9 common 1976 Topps now on ebay for as little as $4 (...and when SMR was at $40 you could pick up PSA 9 commons for $7 to $10).

IMO, Collectors Universe has "dropped the ball", with PSA's "SMR Pricing Guide".

If "you and I", dealers, buyers and sellers, have a handle on "current market conditions" (i.e. what items are selling for!), you would think SMR price guides, would reflect more accurately to the realistic prices of "PSA items sold" in the current market place?

But SMR doesn't accomplish this. And PSA gives the excuse, "...SMR pricing is just a price guide, and prices could be higher or lower, etc., etc., etc..."

Well when cards sell for (i.e., as nick mentioned about 1975 Topps PSA 9s!) as little as 1/5 their SMR price, its time for PSA to work harder to get "the job done" regarding a more accurate SMR pricing guide, that reflects the real market place, not some Collectors Universe "backroom way of pricing PSA material", that as nick stated, is a joke.

Prices realized on ebay, auctions, Dealers, shows, buyers and sellers, and even here on PSA's own message threads, with some effort, can combined to give "a much better prices realized" guide for PSA material, than SMR is doing currently.

I guess PSA is saying we are not "paying enough" for a real SMR price guide. We pay just enough to have PSA "go thru the motions" with SMR, instead of producing a "more accurate" price guide that the "buying and selling" public could depend on as a source for accurate pricing.

CU, if it costs you more to compile accurate data, do it! (I rarely look at the SMR price guide any more, as like nick mentioned about the 1975 series, pricing there is a joke for many listed years!). Since there is a "market for PSA material" (as 1000s are bought and sold every month!). We all would be better served if SMR acted as a real price guide, reflecting last month's "PSA sales", instead of some "vague price guide, that is basicilly "window dressing".

Anyone be willing to pay more for a price guide, that really reflects what PSAs being sold and at what prices? I would! How about you?

When '76 commons were selling for $10, where did PSA come up with a SMR of $40, and now when you can pick up a '76 common for as little as $4, where is the $18 SMR price derived from?

rbd

edit: Do you think PSA keeps the SMR prices higher, so the public will continue to submit raw material? CU would never do that? I guess if the current market price for a 1976 PSA 9 common is around $4 to $9, do you think anyone would bother to get them graded (i.e., the current SMR for '76 baseball PSA 9 commons = $18)? image
  • Options

Had I not forgot about the PSA 10 1975 OPC Kaline auction.....you would have paid
    even more dearly for that card! I was prepared to pay way over what you paid!

KalineFan

• Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    ebay its not the only place where baseball cards are bought and sold.

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options

<< <i>image

Had I not forgot about the PSA 10 1975 OPC Kaline auction.....you would have paid
    even more dearly for that card! I was prepared to pay way over what you paid!

KalineFan

image >>

Hello KalineFan!

I had a high bid, I think @ $555.55, I felt I was pretty darn lucky to win it @ $501.00!

rbd

edit: P.S. I'm sorry you forgot to bid! As I know "all to well" the feeling of wanting to bid on an item, and for one reason or another you forget, or are unable to bid! It sucks!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I'm curious.

What's the SMR on the Kaline?

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>OK, I'm curious.

What's the SMR on the Kaline?

mike >>

Mike,

There is no SMR for the OPC series. For a 75 Topps #4 Kaline HL, SMR for a PSA 9 is $200, what it should be for a PSA 10? I'm not really sure!

edit: Population Report:

1975 Topps: 181 Graded by PSA with only one PSA 10
    1975 O-P-C: 5 Graded by PSA with only one PSA 10

I will say this: PSA has graded 682 PSA 10s in the '75 Topps series, but only 18 PSA 10s in the entire '75 OPC series. Actually Topps are at .08% (682 PSA 10s out of 82,636), while the OPCs are at 1.9% (18 PSA 10s out of 937). In my opinion, any HOF player cards from the 70s graded PSA 10 and being a "one and only", will usually command premium pricing.

rbd
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    RB
    You should check out this Carter Rookie ! A HOF Rookie for 500 bucks ?He probably would take 400 for it?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    I wonder how much a 1975 OPC Brooks Robinson in PSA 10 would be? No reason.....just wondering.... image
  • Options
    jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭
    bobsbbcards,

When did you get the '75 OPC Robinson graded? I noticed 2-9's and a 10 graded over the last 2 months.
  • Options

<< <i>RB
    You should check out this Carter Rookie ! A HOF Rookie for 500 bucks ?He probably would take 400 for it? >>

Thanks for the heads-up! I already was aware of this item, as I looked at BMW's: 1965 O-Pee-Chee #207 Pete Rose SGC 96. But at that price ($4500 OBO),
    I just looked! LOL! '65 OPC Rose SGC 96 @ $ 4,500.00. I'm talkin' rare with this one! Boy! would I love that card! ("Dream on rbd, dream on!" LOL!)

THANX AGAIN!

rbd
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>bobsbbcards,

When did you get the '75 OPC Robinson graded? I noticed 2-9's and a 10 graded over the last 2 months. >>

I didn't get it graded; it was already a 10 when I bought it as part of a set (couple months back). Must be the same card.

Hey! How did you figure out I had one? Are you some kind of detective or something? imageimage
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    bob , if your still posting on the boards , I remembered this thread and just saw that you sold the kaline on a buy it now fixed price listing for $125. did you fall off your rocker? that seems like a strange way to sell a card that you paid over$500 for a couple months ago.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>ebay its not the only place where baseball cards are bought and sold. >>

That still doesn't account for the completely unrealistic prices that CU hangs in the SMR.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    a strange way to sell a card that you paid over$500 for a couple months ago.

Yeah i agree, that is strange.

Edited to add:

Looks like RBDJR is getting out of the OPC game. He has many listed on ebay.

hope all is well with him.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Maybe he ran out of money?
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    I just noticed that last night as well. Maybe the $$ has dried up or he is going in another direction. Seems odd for someone who listed every auction he ever won for all of us to see then suddenly bail out. Also looks like he hasn't started any "look what I bought" threads in quite awhile.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think RB is going into the non sports/ european card collecting phase.

Steve
    Good for you.