Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Are alll 1986 TOPPS Traded Barry Bonds #11T

Seems like a good card tohoard now if he breaks the record later.

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FRN
    I'm not an expert on speculating but IMO, the ship has sailed on Bonds.

Those who want Bonds probably already have him stockpiled.

Now, someone else may come and tell you to buy up everything you can find.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Well, Bonds rookies are rare - at least that's what all the Ebay auctions tell me.

Of course, rare is a relative term...they are rare when compared to, say - 1988 Topps or 1989 Donruss.

In case I'm not being clear, Bonds rookie cards are a dime a dozen, and most baseball fans can't stand him. Hoard all the rookies you want, but it's not exactly a road to riches.
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    Most people have already hoarded them, as without injury, he might have broken the reord THIS year. See the history on McGwire rookies to see what will happen when Bonds breaks the record. A slight spike then a steady dropoff to about what they are now. The time to have gotten them was about a year and a half ago.
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Barry Bonds cards are all modern junk that were mass produced. The record is of little significance at this point, whether he breaks it or not, because he will always be looked at with scrutiny over the steroids issue. Too many people believe he has cheated, in the long term, his cards (and 99.9% of other modern cards produced during Bonds' career) will significantly depreciate in value, especially those BGS 9.5's that people spend ridiculous money on... those things will take a beating.
  • Options
    I'm not quite as "bearish" as some of the previous opinions but I agree that there certainly won't be a "meteoric" rise when (if) he eventually breaks the record. Because of the big slide in values for his cards over the past year I do see values going up a good 20-30% if he shows next year he hasn't lost anything, but I doubt they will ever get back up to where they were a year ago. My opinion would be if you're looking to make a little money Bonds could still be an OK investment...but if you're looking to hit it big, you're about 2 or 3 years too late.
    Looking for Charlie Frye Jersey's, Auto's, and serial numbered RC's!
  • Options

<< <i>Barry Bonds cards are all modern junk that were mass produced. The record is of little significance at this point, whether he breaks it or not, because he will always be looked at with scrutiny over the steroids issue. Too many people believe he has cheated, in the long term, his cards (and 99.9% of other modern cards produced during Bonds' career) will significantly depreciate in value, especially those BGS 9.5's that people spend ridiculous money on... those things will take a beating. >>

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    The only Bonds "rookies" that are somewhat scarce compared to his mainstream 1987 RCs are the 1987 Classic yellow and 1987 Fleer Hottest Stars. His 1986 Donruss Rookies was also a rather limited card (again, relatively speaking).
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The only Bonds "rookies" that are somewhat scarce compared to his mainstream 1987 RCs are the 1987 Classic yellow and 1987 Fleer Hottest Stars. His 1986 Donruss Rookies was also a rather limited card (again, relatively speaking). >>

Two Bonds "rookies" that are REALLY scarce are his 1987 Donruss Opening Day error card (picturing Johnny Ray) and graded 1987 O-Pee-Chee cards. I couldn't find the Classic Yellow Update in the POP report (anyone know why?).

From POP report:

1987 Donruss Opening Day Bonds (error): 71 (22 in PSA 9 and 2 in PSA 10)
    1987 O-Pee-Chee: 86 (13 in unqualified PSA 9 and 0 in PSA 10)
    1987 Fleer Hottest Stars: 750
    1987 Leaf: 859
    1987 Toys 'R' Us Rookies: 1,508
    1986 Topps Traded Tiffany: 1,618
    1987 Donruss Opening Day Bonds (corrected): 1,881
    1987 Topps Tiffany: 2,357
    1986 Sportflics Rookies: 3,172
    1987 Fleer Glossy: 5,803
    1987 Topps: 8,574
    1986 Donruss Rookies: 9,238
    1986 Fleer Update: 15,680
    1987 Topps Glossy All-Star: 17,696
    1987 Donruss: 20,372
    1987 Fleer: 21,139
    1986 Topps Traded: 37,072
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    If MLB ever grows the balls to test him....or if they have already tested him positive and they take action...then Bonds cards will be nearly worthless. IMO, MLB wouldnt want Bonds to be a fall guy because of fear it would do great damage to the entire league. I have Bonds in my sets and that is it. I think there are many collectors like myself who could care less if they had any other Bonds cards. Yes, I know there are collectors who can't get enough of his stuff. I do wonder if there are more of us that could care less about Bonds...would be an interesting national poll of sports cards collectors.
  • Options
    I have a bunch of Bonds RC's but that doesn't mean I like the guy...I only like the potential to see the value of his cards go up (from the price that I originally paid for them anyway). I think the "scarcity" issue is overrated in this case and that values are not determined only by the scarcity but by the demand which in my mind will indeed go up if he has a big year next year. Yes I wish I dumped his cards last year when values (and demand) was strong...but I've got to expect at least a moderate rebound from the low's his cards are seeing now so I'll hold them for another year I guess.
    Looking for Charlie Frye Jersey's, Auto's, and serial numbered RC's!
  • Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    86 Topps Traded Tiffany and 87 Donruss Opening Day error are the only two that will hold or increase in value in my opinion. All the others are way overproduced. 87 Fleer is one of the most overrated and overpriced cards period (not just limiting it to Bonds cards).
    The Traded tiffany is definitely the key rookie card to own.

• Options

<< <i>1986 Topps Traded: 37,072 >>

• Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I don't plan to get rich, but I bought 1 1986 Topps recently just as part of my collection.

Most of my stuff I acquire as a collector, so getting rich isn't a priority.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Did someone say getting rich isnt a priority?????? image
  • Options
    Are the 1986 topps traded barry bonds and the 1986 topps traded tiffany barry bonds the same card?
  • Options

<< <i>Are the 1986 topps traded barry bonds and the 1986 topps traded tiffany barry bonds the same card? >>

Yes and no. They both look alike but the "tiffany" version has a glossy surface (much like all cards do today). Starting in 1984 Topps used to make very limited quantities of tiffany sets (the regular 792 card set and the end-of-season Traded set) and were in factory set form only. They usually were only sold by hobby dealers.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i>Did someone say getting rich isnt a priority?????? image >>

Only through internet poker
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Barry Bonds cards are all modern junk that were mass produced. The record is of little significance at this point, whether he breaks it or not, because he will always be looked at with scrutiny over the steroids issue. Too many people believe he has cheated, in the long term, his cards (and 99.9% of other modern cards produced during Bonds' career) will significantly depreciate in value, especially those BGS 9.5's that people spend ridiculous money on... those things will take a beating. >>

image >>

They said the same thing about the 95W Silver Eagle when it was $200!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1995-W silver eagle is far more scarce and much more highly sought after than any Barry Bonds RC. That anaolgy is apples and oranges. In fact, the value of Barry's RC on ebay have DECLINED in value since he broke the record. Even that "spike" some dealers were hoping for when he finally broke the record never materialized.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>The 1995-W silver eagle is far more scarce and much more highly sought after than any Barry Bonds RC. That anaolgy is apples and oranges. In fact, the value of Barry's RC on ebay have DECLINED in value since he broke the record. Even that "spike" some dealers were hoping for when he finally broke the record never materialized. >>

Funny thing is, both are in the 30,000 range!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << The 1995-W silver eagle is far more scarce and much more highly sought after than any Barry Bonds RC. That anaolgy is apples and oranges. In fact, the value of Barry's RC on ebay have DECLINED in value since he broke the record. Even that "spike" some dealers were hoping for when he finally broke the record never materialized. >>

Funny thing is, both are in the 30,000 range!

30,000? There are probably more like 300,000 Bonds RC out there (and that's probably a conservative estimate, as there are still HUNDREDS of sealed cases still sitting in warehouses). You obviously know very little about coins if you think this analogy is anything but absolutely ludicrous.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    ha-about 3 billion is more like it-had to cut down sereval tropical rainforests alonein 87 there are 300,000+ 87 topss out there, not considering fleer and donruss, why are all these stupid bonds threads back from 3 years ago?
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    From my observations (such as McGwire/Sosa and Ripken in 1995) is that the cards' values will go up and up in anticipation of breaking the record, and then start to go down once said record is broken and then becomes yesterday's news. It works pretty much like clockwork, though Ripken's cards did hold most of their value but still had a slight decline. Don't you guys remember when Beckett made a big deal about how at the peak of the Streak hype, that Ripken's cards became worth even more than Griffey/Thomas, who for all of the 1990s at that time, were the top two highest valued players.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i>The 1995-W silver eagle is far more scarce and much more highly sought after than any Barry Bonds RC. That anaolgy is apples and oranges. In fact, the value of Barry's RC on ebay have DECLINED in value since he broke the record. Even that "spike" some dealers were hoping for when he finally broke the record never materialized. >>

this is true.

I can only state in relation to 1993 Refractors of Bonds.

I sold 10-15 raw Bonds 1-2 years ago for $400+ .............. Now PSA 9s won't even bring that and a PSA 10 did not sell recently for the assumedly reasonably price of $1,199.

• Options
    rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    id trade all bonds rookies for 1995-w silver eagles in a heartbeat