Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1891-CC Morgan Dollar -- PCGS MS-63 PL (Nearly DMPL!!) -- New Photos

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a pretty 1891-CC Morgan Dollar that I recently purchased. I invite you to let me know what you think she grades.

Here are the higher resolution images to help you get a better look at her.
    << 1891-CC High Resolution Image Link >>
imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuart you must have a money tree in your yardimage that girl is sweet!! I said 65PL but the rev looks full DMPL. Great coin.image

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I guessed 64 PL. Nice coin, no matter the grade. Atocha is not my favorite dealer, but if it's certified it should be OK...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    Stuart I'm not much for Morgan's but that one is Very Nice! Congrat's
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    did it cost more than 800 bucks? inquiring minds want to know.

i said ms65-pl
  • Options
    63PL
  • Options
    My guess is MS65 DMPL. Looks really nice!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    Stuart ... I need that for my collection. Please send me your address and a list of times that you will be away from home image
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS65 DMPL

Beautiful coin.
  • Options
    Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    65 DMPL - Very Nice! Oh yeah You Suck!
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options
    Yet another excellent score, Stuart. She's a beauty! 64PL's me guess.image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    Nice coin, I like..image

Looks like a 64PL to me.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your positive comments about my new 1891-CC Morgan Dollar. I'll post the grade later today. image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    I guessed 64 DMPL. I would not be surprised if I was wrong. image I could see it being 65 or PL too.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63 or 63PL
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    64PL

I know you to well Stuart.

Where are you finding these beauties?

• Options
    Wade: Some of you who know my typical collecting preferences, and thus are expecting the answer to be predictable, may be surprised with this one... image

This is an example of "Grade the Coin -- Not the Collector" image

Stuart

• Options
    I went 64PL...nice one Stuart
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in for 64PL. No heavy marks, but a bunch of light ones that tend to show up really well on PL and DMPL coins. I see too much cartwheel to say DMPL. Nevertheless, that's a nice coin.
  • Options
    I got interested in this coin after reading Wayne Miller's description of typical Prooflike 1891-CC's. I am paraphrasing the following.

He mentions that the 1891-CC is considerably scarcer in PL than the 1890-CC, and that most PL examples have little to no cameo contrast and minimally reflective mirrored fields.

He also mentioned that examples with strong mirrors and significant cameo contrast are scarce and thus desireable... image

Stuart

• Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    Great coin Stuart. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    Thanks to all who participated in my guess the grade poll and for posting your comments about this coin. 90% of the forum voters guessed the grade at MS-63 DMPL or higher, which agrees with my evaluation that the coin appears to be high-end for both the grade and the PL designation.

It grades PCGS MS-63 PL, and appears from the original seller's photos to have deeply PL mirrors with moderate to strong cameo contrast between deeply reflective PL fields and frosty devices.

I'll post an update to this thread after receiving the coin and examining her in person.

Stuart

• Options
    I promised to update the forum when I received this 1891-CC PCGS MS-63 PL Morgan Dollar, which arrived in today's mail. The deep watery reflective mirrored fields on this coin appear to be very close to DMPL.

The coin has the amount of contact marks typical for the MS-63 grade, with very appealing cameo contrast and deeply mirrored fields, which according to Wayne Miller is not typical for the 1891-CC Morgan.

For those who asked, the transaction was very professional, with excellent communication, and fast shipment which got the coin to me within 5 days after close of auction.

Stuart

• Options
    I had guessed MS-65 DMPL image

I guess I'm so used to looking at the ACG coins I bought. image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    As promised, here are some new photos that I took today of the 1891-CC PCGS MS-63 PL Morgan Dollar that I just received yesterday (Saturday).

I really like her with the strong cameo contrast and nearly DMPL Mirrored Fields, especially with huge 3x price jump to 63 DMPL. Let me know what you think of her.

My New Photos:

High Resolution Image Link

imageimage

Original Seller's Auction Photos- For Comparison:

High Resolution Image Link

imageimage

Stuart

• Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin Stuart.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Looks nice.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Jim, Craig and Mark: Thanks for your posts on this thread, and for your kind words about my new 1891-CC Morgan.

Although it's a duplicate for me, it may trump my original MS-63 PL example because of the its deeply mirrored fields.

Stuart

• Options
    Again, very nice coin Stuart!

The link to your high resolution photos is not working for me, though.

Thanks for sharing...Mike
  • Options
    Mike: Thanks for your post. I retested the high resolution photo links, and they worked for me.

Perhaps other forum members can please let us know if they can gain access to the Yahoo! Photo web hosted high resolution images of this 1891-CC Morgan. Thanks! image

Stuart

• Options

<< <i>Mike: Thanks for your post. I retested the high resolution photo links, and they worked for me.

Perhaps other forum members can please let us know if they can gain access to the Yahoo! Photo web hosted high resolution images of this 1891-CC Morgan. Thanks! image >>

You are welcome. I re-tested the link, and I get the following error:

The File You Are Looking For Is Inaccessible

Please sign in and try again or check with the owner of the file.

• Options
    Mike: Thank you for pointing out that the new images were not generally available to view, because I had not properly set the correct privacy setting. image

I have just revised the privacy settings for these high resolution images so that they are now "public" rather than private. Please try again and let me know if it works this time. image

Stuart

• Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Absolutely stunning Stuart....great contrast and on a good day with PCGS a possible MS64PL. You have a great eye for Morgans my friend....... Congratulations! image
    Brian
  • Options
    Brian: Thanks for your post, and for your kind words about my new 1891-CC Morgan Dollar!! image

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file