Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

question for all collectors

do you think you would enjoy collecting coins if you had unlimited funds to purchase whatever coin you could at any time, or would that take the fun away from collecting?
ed rodrigues

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I think I would enjoy it less.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    the romance is in the struggle, not the finish.

• Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    im with russ and fc the thrill of the find and the struggle to get there is what really makes this fun!
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its all about the hunt.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's not hard to obtain, it isn't collecting! The fun is in the hunt.
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice, the hunt is still there to find the really nice coins, the difference is you would have the funds to buy those special coins.

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's not enough money in the world to buy all the coins but it's a hoot trying. image
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Just because he said that you had unlimited funds doesn't mean you need to take the easy way to obtain the coins.

One could have one hell of a coast to coast hunt with unlimited funds image

Would be kinda cool to just jump in the car and hit the estate sales, auctions, stopping at pawn shops, coin shops, coin shows just
    to find the coins that are in your eye the perfect coin for your collection.

I guess it would all depend on how you collected with the unlimited funds. If you just sat at home and searched out the best of what
    you wanted to collect on the net....It would suck and be no fun at all.

• Options
    It hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of collecting coins. It means I can afford coins like this without think twice about it.

-------------------------

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    It would be fun to maybe have unlimited funds for one day. I think that could still be a challenge.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends what you collect. For example, if you collect contemporary counterfeits buckets of money won't make much of a difference. The challenge will be finding the coins, not paying for them.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    A little more money would be nice, but I don't think I would appreciate the hobby as much if I had unlimited funds.
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    It's like deer hunting in the woods as compared to shooting a deer in a 10'X10' pen. Just not the same if you were a billionaire. Although I wouldn't complain if I were a billionaire. image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options
    I think it would become boring. There would be no more "special" coins that I could only dream about one day owning.

Dan
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>I think I would enjoy it less.

Russ, NCNE >>

Yep
  • Options
    Yes I would enjoy it. I would love to have every coin Ive ever wanted, at home in a backlit display case. $1000 dollar plus coins are just realisticly
    out of reach for me.
    Collecting cleaned, scratched, scraped, AT and ugly POS coins for over 2 years now!
  • Options
    Hell, I'd like to travel the world and buy from the best of the best. Can I buy fine art along the way as I sell the widgets?

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    do you think you would enjoy collecting coins if you had unlimited funds to purchase whatever coin you could at any time,

YES!!
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm....I think having a litttle more cash at times would be nice because often I have to make a decision based on a very limited budget. But having unlimited funds might take a lot of the challenge out of finding the best coin for the money as then I would guess it would become a 'how much do you want' thing...

Plus, why take the time to learn anything then? I could just pay someone for their knowledge...

K
    ANA LM
  • Options

<< <i>Depends what you collect. For example, if you collect contemporary counterfeits buckets of money won't make much of a difference. The challenge will be finding the coins, not paying for them. >>

The problem is that if you HAVE so much money that price is no object after a while the coins will start to come looking for you. As in your senario of the contemporary counterfeit. Any dealer who ets one will start contacting or sending them to you to see if you want it. Extremely rare items that have been off the market for years may suddenly come onto the market if there is a price is no object buyer in the market. And if they don't immediately, when they do finally come onto the market it WILL be brought to your attention.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file