Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

German collectors (or not) opinions on this 3 marks

What do you think? What grade? I think at least MS68 or Gem BUnc.

Comments

• Options
    MS-WOW!!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    Drool!!!!
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS-WOW!!!image >>

Gene
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    What a great photo!!
    Shep
  • Options

SWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    wildjagwildjag Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic coin.

However, I would get the PVC spots off asap. It might be the photo, but I see green PVC marks on the reverse at 2 and 9 o'clock on the rim, also on the left side of the necklace the eagle is wearing. Then on the obverse at the bottom to the left of the mintmark and then another spot on his uniform at the bottom. Maybe send it to NCS and then have NGC grade it.
  • Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    I don't want to state a grade as I'm not familar enough with US-grading.

The coin looks pretty good to me from the picture, but it's very hard to grade a coin on the basis of a picture. As wildjag said, it must get off the the green spots. (sharp eye, Mike image ) I also see some die polish lines and don't know which effect they have in US-grading.

However, there must be a reason why the seller graded this coin "fast stempelglanz" and not "stempelglanz." Maybe he has seen something what we're not able to see on the picture.
    It will probably receive a ms grade when it gets through the grading procedure, I just can't tell what grade it'll be.

Edit: Unfortunately I have no experience with this seller and don't know how conservative he grades.
    imageimage
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Udo that the coin looks nice, but I too find it very difficult to grade the coin from the pics. For me, the coin appears so white that I cannot judge luster, etc. The surfaces certainly look mark-free. Die polishing marks shouldn’t affect the grade, but if (as Udo said) the seller called the coin “fast stempelglanz,” perhaps there is something not apparent in the pics(?). Who was the seller, anyway?

The coin appears to be MS, but I don’t know about 68…Good Luck with it, and do let us know how it grades image - Preussen

Edited to add: If it does grade MS68, can I have it? image
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    Thanks all! The seller is calling the coin nearly FDC. IT is always good to have other eyes looking as well. I didn't pick up on the PVC spots at all (my eyes are getting old) a bath in acetone should do the trick. The seller is Münzhandlung Ritter GmbH, Düsseldorf if that helps at all. They have good contact info and all I am doing right now is lookingimage
  • Options
    MSD61MSD61 Posts: 3,382
    oopsimage