Home Sports Talk
Options

Theo Epstein RESIGNS

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
What happened? What happened to the three year contract extension? POOF!

At 31, boy wonder Theo Epstein was ready to step out on his own.

The Red Sox general manager walked away from his hometown team on Monday, stunning Boston and the baseball world just one year after helping the franchise win its first World Series championship since 1918.

"I gave my entire heart and soul to the organization," Epstein said in a statement. "During the process leading up to today's decision, I came to the conclusion that I can no longer do so. In the end, my choice is the right one not only for me but for the Red Sox."

Epstein will continue working for a few days to assist in the transition and prepare for the offseason. The Boston Herald, which first reported the news on its Web site, said the Yale graduate has told associates that he might leave baseball or at least take a year off.

The Dodgers, Phillies and Devil Rays have GM openings, but none has a $120 million payroll to match the one Epstein was given in Boston.

Once the youngest GM in baseball history and still the youngest to assemble a World Series champion, Epstein was reportedly offered about $1.5 million a year for a three-year extension. That was quadruple his previous salary but still short of the $2.5 million the Red Sox offered Oakland's Billy Beane in 2002 before hiring Epstein.

But even after the money was settled, the negotiations turned into a fierce and Freudian standoff between the boy GM and the mentor who nurtured him from an intern to a World Series champion. By leaving, Epstein breaks a longtime link with Red Sox president Larry Lucchino, who hired him as a Baltimore Orioles intern and brought him to San Diego and then Boston.

The Herald said Epstein went through "agonizing soul-searching" over office politics and his relationship with his boss. Published reports that contained inside information about their relationship, "slanted too much in Lucchino's favor," helped convince Epstein there had been a breach of trust, the Herald said.

Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling told The Associated Press he was disappointed in the news but had seen indications that it might be coming.

"You don't get better losing a guy like Theo," said Schilling, who joined the Red Sox after Epstein ate Thanksgiving dinner with him and convinced him to accept a trade from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

"It's obviously going to be an incredibly unpopular decision with the players. But we'll show up in spring training and get ready for the season and try to win another World Series. It's not like we're going to have a sit-down," he said.

A lifelong Red Sox fan who grew up in nearby Brookline, Epstein came to Boston when Lucchino made him the assistant GM. Epstein was promoted to his dream job in 2002, about five weeks before his 29th birthday.

"Growing up in the shadow of Fenway Park, I never dreamed of having the chance to work for my hometown team during such an historic period," Epstein said, thanking owners John Henry and Tom Werner -- and Lucchino -- for the opportunity.

"My affection for the Red Sox did not begin four years ago when I started working here, and it does not end today," he said. "My passion for and dedication to the game of baseball remain strong. Although I have no immediate plans, I will embrace this change in my life and look forward with excitement to the future."

A devotee of statistical analysis who values his scouts as well, Epstein's tenure has been marked by bold adventures that often conflicted with baseball orthodoxy:

He signed first baseman Kevin Millar, despite an unspoken agreement not to poach from Japanese clubs.

He went without a traditional closer in his first year, with horrendous results.

He tried to trade for 2003 AL MVP Alex Rodriguez -- a deal that would have meant shipping out Manny Ramirez and Nomar Garciaparra -- and then, without remorse, pulled the plug when the deal became too expensive.

He ate Thanksgiving dinner with Schilling in a college football-style recruiting trip that lured the right-handed ace to Boston.

He traded Garciaparra, the face of the franchise, for the parts he needed to complete the World Series puzzle.

But the efforts paid off.

The Red Sox reached the AL Championship Series in 2003 before the lack of a closer doomed Grady Little in Game 7 at Yankee Stadium. The next year, with a new manager and the closer it had been missing, the ballclub won its first World Series in 86 years.

Boston reached the postseason for a third consecutive year this season before getting swept by the eventual World Series-champion Chicago White Sox in the first round.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I was waiting for one of the resident yankee bashers to start this thread. where are they???

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    I tell you, something is ROTTEN in that front office for this bright kid to leave his dream job. Growing up in Boston as a Red Sox fan this was fantasy island for him.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Rotten?

He's greedy...he wants to be paid more than Cashman - pure and simply greed is what drove him out of town.

He couldn't stand to sit there and make less money than Cashman, and that one fact is why he's out of a job.
  • Options
    He should make just slightly more then half of what cashman makes.

yankee payroll is 200 mil

red sox is 120 mil

therefore he should make less.

running a 200 mil dollar organization is harder.

jmo

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Rotten?

He's greedy...he wants to be paid more than Cashman - pure and simply greed is what drove him out of town.

He couldn't stand to sit there and make less money than Cashman, and that one fact is why he's out of a job. >>

No way, there is something that is rotten with this situation. Here is a kid born and raised in the area, a rabid Sox fan growing up. Living the life of a king in New England. There is NO WAY this is just about money.

• Options
    No one outside his immediate friends and family and those in the negotations will ever truly know, but if it was something in the front office, then why did he even negotiate? If he was truly so put off, he wouldn't even have waited.

It was his arrogance and greed which got the better of him. He thinks he's more deserving of more money than Cashman, and was furious his offer wasn't for more than his is how I see this playing out.
  • Options

<< <i>No one outside his immediate friends and family and those in the negotations will ever truly know, but if it was something in the front office, then why did he even negotiate? If he was truly so put off, he wouldn't even have waited.

It was his arrogance and greed which got the better of him. He thinks he's more deserving of more money than Cashman, and was furious his offer wasn't for more than his is how I see this playing out. >>

What you said above plus his ego. He not only wanted his $$$$, but he also wanted the powers that his bosses had. His bosses said no, and he had a fit. Oh well, life will go on, and hopefully the Red SOx can hold on to Bill James.

Remember these Chuck Norris Facts

1. When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down
    2. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, Chuck Norris can actually roundhouse kick you yesterday
    3. There are no such things as lesbians, just women who have not yet met Chuck Norris
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This wasn't a money issue, as far as what I've heard and read. It was more of a struggle for power and control within the Red Sox front office - Theo wanted more of it, and Larry Lucchino and the owners wanted to reign him in. Pretty simple. Without a doubt, this will hurt Theo more than it hurts the Red Sox. I just hope that the philosophy which the Red Sox have operated under for the past 3 seasons (try and make the playoffs every year and at the same time continue to generate young, quality players to fill the roster cheaply or be traded for valuable pieces of the puzzle) was not just Theo's philosophy, but a team-wide philosophy. I think the latter, but we'll see.

Are GM's really that big a deal at this level anyway? Seriously - if you have $120 million to spend on a team, doesn't it make for a sweet job to have? Wouldn't it be harder to be the GM in Kansas City or Tampa Bay where you get $40 million to play with, and no one cares anyway? If GM's are so important, why are the top ones in the business paid less than your average bench warming major leaguer?
  • Options

<< <i>He should make just slightly more then half of what cashman makes.

yankee payroll is 200 mil

red sox is 120 mil

therefore he should make less.

running a 200 mil dollar organization is harder.

jmo

SD >>

Steve, I am going to assume you are being sarcastic here. You would have to be!
  • Options
    Theo arguably did more with less than Cashman (at least recently; I plead ignorance on exactly how long Cashman has been with the Yanks image ); I can't blame the guy for at least wanting what they were going to give Beane. Still, gotta wonder what else was going on, it seems like there had to be something foul going on for Epstein to give up on his dream job, not just some temper tantrum image
    Kobe Who? image At least Dwyane pays proper respect to Da Big Aristotle image

Yes, I collect shiny modern crap image

All your Shaq are belong to me image
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Are GM's that big of a deal, yes in some cases....witness Kenny Williams and what he was able to do with the White Sox when Reinsdorf allowed him to build the club in his and Ozzies mold. It was a learning curve for everyone involved in the organization. Like on the field its a team effort and you need a good strong GM.
  • Options

<< <i>

Steve, I am going to assume you are being sarcastic here. You would have to be! >>

There is ZERO room for error with Brian Cashman. While no team in baseball can spend what the Yankees do, just the same, there is no team in baseball that MUST win the World Series in order to consider the season successful. This is what Steve was getting at I believe.

• Options
    Personally, good riddence to Epstein. Now hopefully they bring in a man to do the job. Seriously, for every David Ortiz success, there are 5 Mike Remlinger experiments during his tenure.

ct, don't believe the hype.

This wasn't a money issue, as far as what I've heard and read. It was more of a struggle for power and control within the Red Sox front office - Theo wanted more of it, and Larry Lucchino and the owners wanted to reign him in. Pretty simple

The Sox have been spinning this possibility for the last 3-4 weeks, accidentally "leeking" his previous offers to Globe writers, which happens to be owned by the NY Times, which happens to own 17% of the team. They do it with players and they did it to Epstein. The guy who leaves is always the bad greedy guy. Lucchino is a rat. Just keep an eye on these owners and don't be fooled by the way they spin and sell their decisions. It's all 110% financial based, and they will do every thing they can to make as much money as possible as quickly as possible, fans and team be damned if they get in the way. The big danger is the attitude that seems to be brewing amonst players about not wanting to come here anymore.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Are GM's really that big a deal at this level anyway?

When you have a bad one they are. (See Ed Wade and the Philadelphia Phillies)
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    Steve, I am going to assume you are being sarcastic here. You would have to be!

Yes, I was somewhat.

but then again a person running an operation worth more, that has more revenues should earn more too. right?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Not a money issue Lucchino and Steinberg are power hungry idiots. Epstein did not and could not work with these turkeys. The sox truly do not need a GM with these guys having such a handle of day to day operations. Stop the Cashman $ comparisons and stop being stupid when you or anyone else does not know all of the facts.
  • Options

<< <i>Not a money issue Lucchino and Steinberg are power hungry idiots. Epstein did not and could not work with these turkeys. The sox truly do not need a GM with these guys having such a handle of day to day operations. Stop the Cashman $ comparisons and stop being stupid when you or anyone else does not know all of the facts. >>

So you call people 'stupid' for making comparisons to Cashman money, and then you say that no one knows all the facts, yet you say that YOU know the reasons?

Come on...don't be ridiculous...either make a statement like 'you don't know the facts...stop making assumptions' but then don't add in your own personal editorial that YOU know all the facts.

• Options
    Stop the Cashman $ comparisons and stop being stupid when you or anyone else does not know all of the facts.

First off. i assume that the above was not directed at me as i was not comparing the two, I was simply replying to an earlier post. (in a toungue in cheek manner) I thought all along that this was not a money issue as the guy had just got a raise from 500k to 1.5 mil.

I am sure that you too do not have all the facts either.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    Whatever stop comparing Theo to Cashman is like apples to oranges
  • Options

<< <i>Whatever stop comparing Theo to Cashman is like apples to oranges >>

Hmm they were GMs of the 2 biggest spending teams in MLB.

They both were highly successful.

They both had contracts come up at the same time.

Their teams finished with identical records this year.

Oh yeah, apples to oranges.

• Options
    If you had any idea what you are talking about and had read the Boston papers and know the situation. You would know it is not a money issue. Cashman wants to stay in Ny because his wife is from Westchester county. Theo would have signed a 500% increase if it was about the money. Stop confusing players demands salary etc with GM"S.
  • Options

<< <i>If you had any idea what you are talking about and had read the Boston papers and know the situation. You would know it is not a money issue. Cashman wants to stay in Ny because his wife is from Westchester county. Theo would have signed a 500% increase if it was about the money. Stop confusing players demands salary etc with GM"S. >>

You believe everything you read in the sports pages? Wow you must be filled with contradictions.

You come here calling people 'stupid' for making assumptions about what's going on, then go about making your own...hypocrite, much?

And greed doesn't necessarily mean money, fool...I am sure part of it was his salary not being high enough, part of wanting more power.

• Options
    Was all about the power, and the LA job now being open. READ THE BOSTON PAPERS
  • Options

<< <i>Was all about the power, and the LA job now being open. READ THE BOSTON PAPERS >>

Heh it must be a sad world to go through life believing everything you read in the papers, especially in a sports market as volatile as Boston's.

• Options
    When every paper states the same thing, the national press is reporting the same things. Humm maybe I should believe it. Are you a facist? Do you believe secret plots are being hatched against you in private bunkers somewhere? Yeah Boston is volatile but trust me nobody is invoking the money situation here, I know it can take some time to get to the pacific northwest. OK Kaczinski!
  • Options

<< <i>When every paper states the same thing, the national press is reporting the same things. Humm maybe I should believe it. Are you a facist? Do you believe secret plots are being hatched against you in private bunkers somewhere? Yeah Boston is volatile but trust me nobody is invoking the money situation here, I know it can take some time to get to the pacific northwest. OK Kaczinski! >>

haha I'm a fascist now!

Dude get a clue.

• Options
    Ok Brosius
  • Options
    LOL believe this or not...............but I gotta side with Axtell on this one. regardless if he was wrong, or right. he too is entitled to an opinion.

with that said, I still think that the Yankee GM should get almost twice as much as the GM from Boston. I would further state that the yankee GM should always make the most.

(Tongue in cheek)

SD

edited to add.....ok brosius lol good one!
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Opinions are like behinds everyone has one and they all stink when it comes to speculation. However my speculation comes from the atmosophere here and not pure and general assumption. In Boston we could care less what the NY Gm is making and it had no bearing on this issue. I am glad to know the pacific northwest is so concerned with what the Boston Gm makes
  • Options
    FWIW my behind does not stink.

Try washing there, it helps.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Yeah wiping works too. Sounds like a Beavis and Butthead skit
  • Options
    What do you mean wipe? LOL

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Opinions are like behinds everyone has one and they all stink when it comes to speculation. However my speculation comes from the atmosophere here and not pure and general assumption. In Boston we could care less what the NY Gm is making and it had no bearing on this issue. I am glad to know the pacific northwest is so concerned with what the Boston Gm makes >>

Oh there's that eltism that the east coast is so well known for...only YOU can have an informed opinion? Why, because your fabled Boston Globe was leaked information (that may or may not have been true) by the boston front office? You think only Boston folks know what's going on? And the newspaper! ha! Who has time to wait for the print, when the internet gives it to you immediately?

Get out of here you clown...either say (a) no one knows what's going on, and keep your opinion out of it, or (b) let everyone speak their mind about what they think is going on.

You want everyone to be quiet about a topic, saying they can't know what's going on, then you want to offer yours, because you 'read the paper'?

hahah

thanks for the good laugh this afternoon!
  • Options
    No problem I hope you didn't miss your weekly anti-government rally, discussing this topic today. I am sure you can find one tomorrow.
  • Options

<< <i>No problem I hope you didn't miss your weekly anti-government rally, discussing this topic today. I am sure you can find one tomorrow. >>

Well my beefs with the corrupt Bush administration aside, I don't see what they would give one thought of what's happening with some overpaid athletes and overpaid executives when there are much, much bigger fish to fry.

• Options
    If GM's are so important, why are the top ones in the business paid less than your average bench warming major leaguer?

2 words

Players union

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Guess he has big plans for himself. He's a talented young man. Hard tp believe anyone walking away from a package like that, when downsized corporate employees all over our country are scampering to get jobs at the local Walmart.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I heard Theo just signed with McDonald's to be their new GM in the Boston region!
    All kidding aside...All these GM's have tons of pressure to build a team, regardless how much or how little the payroll is. It's a simple concept....50 million payroll has pressure to put a good team on the field with little money....200 million payroll has pressure to win a world series.
    I wonder if the Boston front office would have been better off giving Theo all that power. Heck, it couldnt hurt...he was an intregal part of bringing that championship to Boston.
  • Options
    dgbaseball - I know a lot of what we are reading and hearing now is spin from the Sox front office (largely Lucchino, of course). No way they want to come out of this looking like the bad guys. But reports are the Sox offered him $1.5 million a year for 3 years, and that seems to be in line with what he should be making (and it's a nice raise). He is 31, not exactly filled with years of baseball experience, and while admittedly a good baseball businessman, he has made some player mistakes along the way (Pedro? Lowe? Clement? Renteria instead of Cabrera? etc.) I tend to believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle - it just doesn't make sense why this bright kid would choose to walk away from this dream job, unless answering to Lucchino and the ownership is really that tough for him. And if it is, then he really needs to toughen up (and grow up).

Who knows? He is holding a press conference today at Fenway...maybe this will all be a bad dream? If not, the Sox will hire a seasoned baseball GM (who probably has experience with Lucchino) and we can get back to business. Last time I checked, Theo Epstein wasn't on the field swinging any bats or throwing any pitches.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    People rarely quit over just money and this case illustrates this. Epstein has acted his age and needs to learn how to get along in a corporate environment, as most of us have had to do. John Henry should have jumped in and nipped this in the bud before it became a battle of dueling newspapers. Lucchino should have kept his mouth shut and never released the information he did to the Globe which has a 17% interest in the Sox. There are no innocents in this mess. Once again it will be the fans who ultimately suffer.
  • Options
    Mike, you are correct. Now, all off-season business gets put on hold until a new GM candidate can be identified and hired. And, this is a critical off-season in Boston, with a lot of potential changes brewing. We'll see how this ultimately affects Boston in 2006.
  • Options

<< <i>owner John Henry shouldered the blame for general manager Theo Epstein's resignation on Wednesday

image >>

John Henry is just covering for Luccino. However, Henry is a terrible speaker, and you could tell from his voice that he was very upset about Theo leaving --- almost as if there was a death in the family.

Theo was cordial and gracious, but really said nothing at his press conference as to why he left. We will just have to wait over the next few months as the real story leaks out, or maybe Theo will be more candid after the Dodgers hire him.
  • Options

I can't believe Epstein quit and walked away from $1.5 Million a year. I would give my right arm to be the GM of my favorite baseball team. Also Lucchino was very good to Epstein, and Theo probably would not have gotten the Red Sox GM job without him.