Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For former coin accumulators, how did you go about disposing of those you did not want to keep?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since collecting as a kid and as an adult after resuming the hobby 7 years ago, I find I have accumulated a lot of coins. I should dispose of those I do not want and plow the money back into coins I do want.

For those that have gone through this, how did you go about it and how did it turn out? Thanks, SanctionII.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find out the secret let me know. image

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FleaBay
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭
    ebay and teletrade, for what ever they sell for. Did very well on some, did very bad on others.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a guy on ebay named compu-something that does a great job. Great pictures, accurate descriptions. His listings get a lot of eyeballs.Russ might be able to put you in touch with him.image

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    I put them in the box in the corner.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find giving the stuff away to some collector who would appreciate it more than I is the way to go. Like some, I have gone to Ebay, but the time and hassle and possible low bids do not make it worth it. As an example, Lane Brunner recently asked for low cost examples of graded coins in ANACS holders to be used for educational purposes. I packaged them up and gave them away as they are more valuable to him than me. If you have any, he still needs more.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BST Link, this has worked o-kay so far for me. Allot less hassal then E-bay and have added a few coins that I needed. The real cheap stuff I gave to my son who is getting back into collecting,if only I could get him to focus on one area.
    U S Navy Retired 22 years - ENC(SW) Ret. - Travling Nuclear Maintanence Contractor - Working Indian Point Nuclear plant Buchanan New York

">Franklin Halves
    ">Kennedy Halves
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I've given away quite a bit on here, but there's always more to do.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    I would be happy to take them off your hands...haha...I vote for either giving them to Ebay or to me (less hassle)
    Love them busts!
    I am Looking to Buy California Tokens too.
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Spend 'em.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sanction II,

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years ago. I disposed of the coins by all of the following means:

1. Local coin shop (best for junk silver)
    2. Ebay for individual coins worth $10-15 or more, lots (ie. "10 circ Liberty nickels"), and partially completed albums.
    3. BST board for nicer coins
    4. Giveaways on the forum, especially for coins for which you might have a special attachment
    5. Gift to YNs (inluding my son and his classmates)
    6. Save a few for a rainy day (ie. I am now working on a Dansco type set and wish that I had saved some of the types, to seed a child's collection, etc.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file