Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

are Deutschmarks still legal tender??

I have some German Deutschmarks... nothing old, just common stuff pre Euro, in the 1980's and 90's..... perhaps about 100 Deutschmarks total. Are these still convertible to Euro or USD? If so, what is the best way to do so? And any idea of the rate? Thanks for any info.....
----- kj

Comments

• Options
    XE.com

Very unlikely. You go to go the Central Bank in Germany just to exchange them if I am not wrong. But hopefully you wouldn't go that far just to exchange them... you might as well sell them cheaply off to people who are interested in them.
    List of my partial coin list: My Coin List
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    No longer accepted in Germany. The exchange rate given at the site above is where it was frozen before conversion to the euro in 2002.

Best bet is to sell them to collectors. You'll likely only get 50 cents to a dollar per. If you have any in uncirculated condition you might want to check that list against a price guide (Krause, Standard Catalog of World Coins; available for browsing at most bookstores or libraries) and see if any can be sold for more.

Others will probably come along with better advice. But turning them in to the bank hasn't been an option since 2002 image
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks gxseries....

Nope, I don't plan to make the trip to Germany to cash them in!! but.... my daughter may be going there in about a year for some studies.... might give her a little spending cash!
    ----- kj
  • Options
    They can still be exchanged at the German central bank. If you check with your local bank some of them MAY still be doing foreign exhange for the old currency but if they do expect it to take longer and have higher fees since it may require return of the notes to Germany. And they will not do foreign exchange on coinage. So talk to your bank and find out if it is still possible.