Home U.S. Coin Forum

Profit

How long do you typically hold onto coins you don't really collect (not your speciality) once you realize you can sell them for a profit?

Comments

• relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    2 seconds
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I won't even buy it unless I think it's already profitable.

Russ, NCNE
  • What's this "profit" you speak of?image
  • coinnut86coinnut86 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭
    well, I dont, or havent sold any coins, I buy only. I did however notice that the silver proof set for 1999 went for over $350 on ebay a month or so ago, I was telling a friend (non collector) about the set, and he went an bought a silver 2005 proof set, hoping to sell it in about 6 years to make a quick profit...
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I don't acquire coins that I don't collect, so I don't have the profit problem that you speak of...... image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins are supposed to be sold? I only buy. Dam, I knew I was doing something wrong.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Figured that a thread with the title "profit" would attract Russ.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • If anybody is buying coins in the hopes of selling them for a profit in the future they should try selling something now. It is educational and will help future buying.
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>I won't even buy it unless I think it's already profitable. >>

Leave it Russ to find a way to get Kennedy halves for $0.49.

CG
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I never buy a coin with the intention of profit. I consider it a blessing when it happens; nothing more.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • They aren't eating anything, so they are still tossed over there in the box in the corner.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Coins are supposed to be sold? I only buy. Dam, I knew I was doing something wrong. >>

You're still ahead of me as it seems like I GIVE everything away! Where are the bidding wars when ya really need em? image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I once bought rolls of silver coin for under face at an estate auction. The listing just said roll silver quarters. I had looked at the lot and knew it was several rolls!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

• << <i>If anybody is buying coins in the hopes of selling them for a profit in the future they should try selling something now. It is educational and will help future buying. >>

A very good point.

It's much easier to buy than to sell
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It's much easier to buy than to sell >>

Only if you're buying and selling junk. With quality material, the opposite is the case right now.

Russ, NCNE
  • Well, there are several ebray'rs that have in the past and currently bought coins and had them back up for auction even before paying for the original coins.

Same said true with mint series.....read some of the auctions and they are selling coins that the mint hasn't fufilled on orders yet.....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • What !!! sell my babys????????? no way, they are mine, and you can't have them.
    ANA 1197201
    Vietnam Vet 69-70 - Semper Fi

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file