Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

05 Proof coins cheaper on eBay than at the mint - why?

"The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
Robert A. Heinlein

Comments

• Options
    No reserve.

If memory serves me correctly, everyone except that one co-marketing outfit pays the same price.
    I listen to your voice like it was music, [ y o u ' r e ] the song I want to know.

I'd give you the world, just because...

Speak to me of loved ones, favorite places and things, loves lost and gained, tears shed for joy and sorrow, of when I see the sparkle in your eye ...
    and the blackness when the dream dies, of lovers, fools, adventurers and kings while I sip my wine and contemplate the Chi.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    It is not unusual for both GAE's and gold commems to bring less in the aftermarket than original issue price. This is particularly true of proof coins because of the sizable mint markup over gold melt value.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Thanks - so the answer is that basically someone took a loss. Interesting. (Of course, that doesn't make those good buys per se... image )
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    I wonder what is the incremental cost for the mint to produce proof coins. I.e., if bullion coins cost X% over their gold content (I'd assume this to be a very small number), then how much more does it cost to produce proofs?

JD
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks - so the answer is that basically someone took a loss. Interesting. (Of course, that doesn't make those good buys per se... image ) >>

Right.
    Buying coins from the mint, can be hazardous to your economic health.

Ray
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    proof sets from the 80's are still selling below cost from mint when issued
  • Options
    It can also be because the mint gives 5% off if you spend over $5,000 in an order for some items.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file