Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Turns out I might not be a coin collector afterall

i've been lurking here for several months and someone started a thread about extra hair peace dollar VAMs. I didn't know there were peace dollars VAMs and decided to check out the VAM encyclopedia from the library.

Holy crap, that's a boring read from cover to cover. There were parts I was very interested in (coin making, smelting) but the whole section on Morgans was a big snooze fest for me. Am I less of a collector for not caring about morgan dollars? (I know what a die clash is now!)

I still haven't gotten around to checking my peace dollars for VAMs yet.

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    but the whole section on Morgans was a big snooze fest for me. Am I less of a collector for not caring about morgan dollars?

If you are less of a collector for it, so am I. There are many paths to an enjoyable collection. Find yours.

• Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I find it tedious as well, but necessary as a reference.

Edited to add: BTW, welcome!
  • Options
    Congratulations, you discovered the best kept secret about the Van Allen book - the chapters on coin design and 19th century coin manufacturing are excellent reading. It's by far the best part of his book.

Bill
  • Options

<< <i>I find it tedious as well, but necessary as a reference.
    >>

oh I agree! i'm hoping to slowly accumulate enough knowledge to become a decent Peace VAM cherry picker. This may take as long as two weeks (ok, probably a lot longer than that)
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are no rules for coin collecting, you can even make some up as you go along!

Welcome!

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    collect what you want to collect, that's what I say. image
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kinda like Peace Dollars myself.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find die varieties fascinating but some of the VAM's and minor varieties are
    quite boring. If you can define a set or a collecting goal then you are a coll-
    ector whether you're by yourself or in the middle of the mainstream.

Welcome aboard.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Not all collectors enjoy all aspects of this hobby. I find VAMs uninteresting, but I do enjoy researching die marriages for early 18th century issues.
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I absolutely love morgans- but I'm also bored by 98% of vams...... Welcome aboard!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Real collectors don't collect Morgans.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Heck, I don't generally care about VAMs unless they bring money. image
  • Options

<< <i>Heck, I don't generally care about VAMs unless they bring money. image >>

There is nothing more powerful than the power of goodbye
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love Morgans, but don't go ga-ga over VAMs, even though I've got the book too. Its a nice reference and a required one if you like Morgans or Peace $.

Welcome and good luck in whatever floats your coin boat.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    I love Morgans and especially Vams but even I agree quite a few are nothing to get excited about
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome... have fun... post and enjoy the experience...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting! It's not all about VAMs either. Have fun!

And mosey on over to the Darkside if you want a diversion (an expansion of your horizons).

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file