Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Baron von Richthofen

K-288 CAVALRY CAPTAIN BARON VON RICHTHOFEN, 1928, Struck Silver, 36mm, VZ. ERROR VARIETY, R, Die crack, reverse 7:00 o’clock. In its original box of issue.

Portrait medal of the famous WWI fighter pilot killed on the Somme battlefield on April 21, 1918. Richthofen was probably the finest airman the world had ever seen. He was not only a good fighter but also the noblest on the German side. He had the reputation of never killing an enemy after he had him “cold” in his sights. After forcing an opponent down he often landed beside him, helped him from his machine, and saw that he was honorably treated. Richthofen was buried by the British with full military honors.

This is another of Goetz’ ‘problem’ medals with erroneous date of death and number of victories quoted. In 1928 this medal was advertised showing 89 victories for Richthofen and his day of death as April 12, 1918. Later that same year the number of victories was changed to 80 and the date of death corrected to April 21, 1918. Obviously, the error variety is much harder to come by.

Obverse: Richthofen bust slightly left in flight uniform.

Reverse: In the foreground, winged helmet with Richthofen’s coat of arms. Above, “89” with arrow to signify victories. Date of death on memorial stone. The German eagle stands to the left calling to the sky, “Der rote Kampf” (To the red fighter pilot) indicating the color of his Fokker plane.

image Goetz may have worked from this image...

Comments

• Options
    UdoUdo Posts: 984 ✭✭
    Great Medal, Scott imageimageimage
    imageimage
  • Options
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Very image medal. image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal, nice informative thread.

Quality thread alert. image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    I agree, these threads are always some of my favorites. Thanks and keep 'em coming.image
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Another "home run" in your Goetz collecting (if I may mix metaphores)
    Thanks for the history brief also!!
    Shep
  • Options
    Gorgeous!

I just wrote up an alternate history story where Von Richtofen survived the war and ran afoul of other rising powers later...If I actually sell the story I may try to find one of these to celebrate. image (Chances are I couldn't afford it, but one can still hope.)

Danny
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Uber-groovy. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cacheman:

Great thread and worthy of a DPOTD Award... Congrats...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Nice medal!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quality thread alert. image >>

And thus it must be ignored!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    What a great thread. I love a little side of history with my numismatics. Now if I could just get some gravy.image
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
  • Options
    Fantastic story !

If i may be so bold.............. how much does one of these medals cost ?
    I would love to add one to my meager collection.

• Options

<< <i>What a great thread. I love a little side of history with my numismatics. Now if I could just get some gravy.image >>

• Options
    Very nice medal!!image