Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are you hesitant to bid on coins where the reserve isn't met?

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
I'm following a few coins at Heritage and none have met reserve yet. Does that come into consideration when you decide to bid (or not)?

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No...I decide what I am willing to pay, not the seller or the auction house. If I don't win for not meeting the reserve, my dinner will taste the same.
  • Options
    TahoeDaleTahoeDale Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes
    TahoeDale
  • Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭
    Rarely. I determine my price, factor out the b/s/h/i/t, and then enter my bid. If it meets the reserve and I win, I do a little happy dance. If it doesn't, I move on.
  • Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    Yes. I don't like not knowing what it takes to be "in the game".

Also, I think that for markets that are liquid, reserves shouldn't be needed.

Is there a lot of instances of coins selling for less than their value if no reserve?
    "The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yes. I don't like not knowing what it takes to be "in the game".

Also, I think that for markets that are liquid, reserves shouldn't be needed.

Is there a lot of instances of coins selling for less than their value if no reserve? >>

Well, some people don't want to sell their coins unless they get the price they want. So they dangle it in the auction and see if someone bites.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It really depends on the coin and circumstances (ie. how long the auction has been active, return priv or not, etc.). If it is an area in which I have a lot of confidence, I will try to buy the coin no matter what others are doing.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It can be a good indicator that demand for that particular issue has slipped. Don't bury yourself, especially in this market.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I just bid. Whatever I think something is worth to me, BANG. If I win it, great. If not........maybe next time.

I could care less about reserves.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Nocerino18Nocerino18 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, especially if I need the coin right away. The reserve might be set way too high and I might be just wasting my time.
    Coin Superstore's Ebay Auctions
    Personal Ebay Auctions
    My Website
    ---------------------------------------------
    ALWAYS LOOKING TO PURCHASE
    TOP 100 MORGANS / HOT 50
    TOP 50 PEACE VAMS
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    same as BigD5- make my bid and await the email notice. I like tracking the reserve prices as well.
  • Options
    9 times out of 10 I will not bid on a "reserve not met" coin even if I like it. Coins are like busses, another one will be along in a few minutes image
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less if the reserve hasn't been met - if I like it and the price is right I'll bid.

I originally thought Heritage's concept of showing the 'next bid meets reserve' was strange, and now after seeing it for a while I still do. But it is useful for removing the mystery and cutting to the chase.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Hesitant? For some reason, I usually am.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭

Of course you bid...who cares about reserves, etc???

The idea is to buy low and sell high.

Some people would rather pay more $$ for a coin someone else is willing to pay more $$ for, without really knowing why the other person is willing to pay more.

Kind of idiotic!

I just won a coin for about $150 less than I've sold one for in 1 lower grade (both equally nice/PCGS coins)

Buy low -- sell high.

...and I'm not a coin dealer, either. Just simple economics.

• Options
    JoesMaNameJoesMaName Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭
    I never bid on them - I don't waste my time with reserve auctions.
    Paul - saved by
    The Fireman...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file