Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ebay feedback dilemma...................help needed!

Recently I won an auction for sports tickets. The buyer's shipping cost was $15, which I assumed to be next day or 2nd day shipping. But this buyer was local, so I emailed him and offered to meet him locally and pay him cash. He refused, saying it was just easier to ship them. So I paid the $15 shipping cost, and then I get the tickets via USPS priority mail, shipped at a cost of $4.30 ($3.85 plus delivery confirmation). Very annoying.

Now I need to leave him feedback, and don't know what to do. He shipped the tickets in a timely manner, and the tickets were good seats. But it annoys the hell out of me that he raped me on the shipping costs. What would y'all do?
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I know this is so wrong and the 15.00 shipping fee was way over, but the seller did fulfill his/her obligation.

Bottom line, you got the tickets in a timely fashion and they were also good seats. Leave a positive feedback or
    nothing at all since feedback is voluntary and at the discretion of ebay members.

I would leave no feedback. To leave a negative feedback would be wrong here !

Tom

• Options
    Was the shipping fee stated in the auction?
    Like it or not, it's hard to say much when (if) it's stated.
    That said, for $15, you can send something priority and registered for that amount!
    Ted Williams, Willie Mays, Tom Seaver, Mike Schmidt, George Brett, Bob Gibson, Lou Brock player collector
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thread about shipping costs? Understand that some sellers use shipping costs as a way to make profits. Many big companies also do this. You buy something from a mail order catalog and the shipping charge is $20 - it is almost certain the shipping cost was really less than $20. The point of the thread is understood, but if not liking the shipping costs for an auction then simply don't bid.

The seller did everything stated in the auction and should definitely get a positive.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller did everything stated in the auction and should definitely get a positive. >>

i agree..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's that "handling" part of the "shipping and handling" costs that a lot of sellers take advantage of. In this case, it's $4+ for shipping and another $10+ for the cost of labor in packaging the item and making the trip to the post office. This is probably BS for most transactions done on eBay, but for some high volume retailers, it can be a legitimate cost if they need to hire people to manage the shipment of merchandise.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. As a result, I have upped the shipping in all of my auctions to $10.00. image
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    CariconCaricon Posts: 819 ✭✭
    That just happened to me. I paid $2.99 in shipping, and the card came in a .37 envelope. I've had cards lost
    or damaged because they came in just a regular envelope. I still have positive feedback, but also stated what
    I paid for shipping, and what I got.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>Another thread about shipping costs? >>

Well, it has been almost a full day since the last one...

But, again - the seller listed his rip-off shipping charges in the auction. As long as he did this, and you got your items as promised, you can't really neg him. You can, however, not bid on any future items from him.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nobody is forced to leave feedback. If you feel that strongly regarding the ship/hand amy. simply move on and do not leave any.

JMO

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Nobody is forced to leave feedback. If you feel that strongly regarding the ship/hand amy. simply move on and do not leave any.

JMO

SD >>

I agree.
  • Options
    Leave positive feedback, but ding him on the star rated questions they ask... beginning next month, he's going to need an average of 4.3 in those to keep selling...
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    I agree with Mosaic.
  • Options
    You could have contacted the seller before purchasing and asked about shipping, it sure does seem many sellers use this for extra profit. I am missing out on dilemma portion of this, seems like it was stated and seller fulfilled all of his obligations. You even said great seats and no problem. When I bid I factor in shipping and if there is a problem or it makes product or service to pricey, I do not bid. Sounds like positives to me.
  • Options
    Or we could relize this thread origanlly started 3 years ago..so what's now posted doesn't make any difference. image
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    In the words of my friend Steve:

Neg Him!

• Options
    Haha... I didn't notice how old it is! Blackborder, you're a tricky one!
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Dang! Got me too.

You bastige!
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Leave positive feedback, but ding him on the star rated questions they ask... beginning next month, he's going to need an average of 4.3 in those to keep selling... >>

Personally, I think that's also ridiculous. The only time you should ding someone's stars is if something nasty and unexpected occurs. If the seller tells you up front that the shipping is 'X', and you ding their stars-- which will potentially cost them money--- even after knowing up front what the shipping costs were, then I think you're acting childish and irresponsible.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Personally, I think that's also ridiculous. The only time you should ding someone's stars is if something nasty and unexpected occurs. If the seller tells you up front that the shipping is 'X', and you ding their stars-- which will potentially cost them money--- even after knowing up front what the shipping costs were, then I think you're acting childish and irresponsible. >>

Ding needs to be defined. I'm not saying give him a zero, but the seller does not deserve 5 stars for his shipping charges. I understand that the $15 charge was known upfront, but even adding in packing materials, paying 3 times the actual cost is excessive.

Edited for spelling.