Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Introduction - gold coin interest

Hi,

My name is Joss Delage, and I am a newbie in this hobby. My Grand Father gave me a number of gold coins, most of them French 20 Francs, but also some US Double Eagles and one $5 Indian Head. I knew that the 20 francs were pretty much bullion, but I had some hope for the US coins, which are all pretty old and included 2 St Gaudens coins. Unfortunately, they've all been circulated, and so they're not really exceptional (I showed them to a dealer over the w-e).

I have sold the 20 Francs and replaced them with bullion coins, Double Eagles and Maples Leafs (Leaves?).

Having looked into the origin of all those coins, I am now interested in starting a gold coin collection. I am not looking at it as an investment but I also don't want to be irrational about it. Some "themes" that I'm attracted to would be:
- No motto gold coins
- Modern proof and uncirculated bullions

I am going to ask a lot of questions in the coming weeks and I hope people will be tolerant of my lack of knowledge. I have a few books to help me already.

If anyone knows of a forum dedicated to US gold coins, I'd love to know about it. I'm also interested in any site that would be rich in content on the subject.

Cheers,

JD
"The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
Robert A. Heinlein

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Motto gold is my primary interest. I look forward to your participation in this fun and challenging area (so long as you do not scoop me on the coins I need imageimage ).

Welcome, aboard!

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    What books do you have now, and how would you rate them as far as addressing the questions you have?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

<< <i>What books do you have now, and how would you rate them as far as addressing the questions you have? >>

Right now I have the "Standard Catalog Of World Gold Coins". It's been very useful in finding out that my coins were not exceptional... image
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0873497996/

I just ordered "A Guide Book of United States Coins 2006: The Official Red Book" but haven't received it yet.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0794819486/

My experience is that books only take you so far. Internet sites are often even better, once one can navigate away from the worthless ones. At the end of the day, forums are best, especially if they are relatively independant and if a few knowledgeable contributors don't mind saying their mind in public... At least, that has been my experience in an other area of interest to me, custom made knives.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is by far the best internet resource for the 19th century gold coin collector:

Doug Winter's old website

Doug Winter is a leading expert, dealer, and author of numerous books in his specialty of 19th century gold coins, with an emphasis on branch mint gold collecting. If you read all of his articles, you will be ahead of the vast majority of collectors out there. If you like his style and approach, I would recommend calling Doug directly at Pinnacle Rarities and talking to him about your interests, goals, etc.

Edit: Actually, the internet can also only take you so far. There is a lot of information in books that is not on the internet. See my signature line quote.
  • Options

WELCOME!
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    USCGCraigUSCGCraig Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    A nice type set of one of each (12 total) would be pretty neat. Buy the best and rarest you can afford. There are quite a few low mintage rarities that you can pick up for a tad bit more then the common stuff. The higher the grade, the better. I would go with rarity over grade though. That is just me.

If you want neat collectables and gold, i stick with the old stuff. Modern day bullion is just bullion and will always be bullion. The old stuff has the gold value and the neat historic value as well as mintages significantly less then modern bullion. Get the coins that will tell a story.

By all means, read, read and read some more. Then do some research. Take a look at the populations for the coins you are interested in. There are quite a few very common Saints in MS65. I'd go with a more difficult coin in a slightly lesser grade.

The folks here will help you out quite a bit. Ask tons of questions and I would buy only graded coins by the top three companies. This will protect you from counterfeit (of which there are actually quite a few) and cleaned/repaired coins.

Good luck and most of all, have fun.
    Coast Guard Craig

Looking for Denmark 1874 20-Kroner. Please offer.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Welcome.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭

Don't be shy.....feel free to ask away!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>If you want neat collectables and gold, i stick with the old stuff. Modern day bullion is just bullion and will always be bullion. >>

Is that your opinion too for proof coins / sets?
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Old proof gold coins are the stuff to drool over..... The prices are quite high, but this would fit your bill and more others real nice.....

I am working on a basic gold type set (7 of 8 right now)($2.5 to $20, Liberty & Indian/Saint) coins, with the (3)$1 & $3 coins to be added in the future.....

Also have the $5 Proof Eagle coins, because these are realtively cheap and are still nice coins.....

I would rather have a collection of foreign bullion coins like the 20 Franc's then a pile of US modern bullion coins.....

Buy what you like and the best you can afford.....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    Michael
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Hiimage
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    I need to find how to add one of those cool icons. I have one I can link to but I can't find the field to do that in the customization area...
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Howdy and welcome

edit: turn on your PM(private mail) on your profile page
    Have a nice day
  • Options

<< <i>turn on your PM(private mail) on your profile page >>

Done, thanks.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Educational post: rarity analysis 1901 VS 1904 Double Eagles

Written by me, might be interesting for you. Like other people say, these also counts for other gold and non-gold series.

There are also several articles about patterns on these message boards and several sites by me

***SPAM***

Dennis

PS I must admit that I never seen a pattern in reallive, and only a few double eagles (I live in the Netherlands)
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    hi!

i am the relative newbie around here gold wise. I like half eagles. About it.
    In the sense, that is all I ever buy. I look at other coins of course.

i speak my mind and i am always wrong. you will get used to it after a while.

keep an eye out for RYK, fatman, longacre, and others who know quite a bit.

good luck. (i hope you have a fat wallet if you have caviar tastes.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file