Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts about this Babe Ruth card

I just got this back from PSA. If I wanted to sell this card, anyone here have any clue what it could be worth, and what the best way to sell it would be? It is one of only 2 ever graded, the other being a 7. Your thoughts are appreciated. -Josh

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Found this one on the internet for $800:

link

Stingray
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    cool card.. i think sadaharu oh has a card in that set also..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is the Babe the joker? He should be the ace of spades! image
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    I think anything with Babe Ruth and PSA in the auction title will get you traffic on the card.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think anything with Babe Ruth and PSA in the auction title will get you traffic on the card. >>

My thoughts exactly
  • Options
    Both those cards used to be mine at one time. In the late 80's I picked up 18 uncut sheets from Japan and bought them back to the US. I had the best ones framed & Matted in my office, Over the years I sold most of them on Ebay. I cut three of them up and they were sent to SGC because PSA wouldn't not grade them back then. I currently have 5 sheets left in my closet. Interesting to see them pop up once in awhile. I seen one sell on Mastro's auction for $1740. like 3 years ago.

Ruth can be seen in the bottom right corner.
    Sorry there is no sadaharu oh card on the sheet.

Jery
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    I actually cut this one out myself from a sheet. This is actually a rather difficult card, especially for a hundcut, because the red ink is very cheap and chips extremely easy. I managed to cut it out with very little evidence of any chipping, and PSA did a great job handling it to ensure it didn't chip because I was worried even slight handling of any edges could create unsightly white chipping spots.

Thanks for the opinions thus far. This card is clearly superior to the one in the SGC case. I'm wondering if it would be better off in a bigger auction, like a Mile High or Memory Lane, or doing it myself on eBay.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice item guys. What does the reverse look like?

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options
    earlycalguyearlycalguy Posts: 1,247 ✭✭
    Josh -

why not go the ebay route at first? put in a start price you want for the card or a fixed price listing. if it doesn't sell you are out $5 bucks and you can always use the relist for another card. worth a shot considering you'll spend more in postage just sending it to an auction house plus the commissions.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I would give it to Mastro...it looks like it would do very well in one of their "collector" auctions
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    I saw an uncataloged Ruth card go for 600+ on ebay.

The card was in pretty bad shape with a pinhole etc.

I think your card being reconized in the SCD as well as being in top high end shape should add more interest and a higher price.

my guess would be over 1 grand ...but it really depends where its sold and how you market it
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx