Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions please - Hometown-sports on ebay

Has anyone ever dealt with this guy? For the first time ever, I bought a card that was never received. I understand it could be the mail service, but again, it has never happened to me before. When I mentioned it to him, he finally replied after three e-mails from me. Now I know he has done his part in the transaction (or so he claims), but I know that if it were me, I would try to work something out with the buyer, namely, either a full or partial refund. We are talking about an $18 card here and future business will definitely depend on it. To top things off, he just received back to back negatives from two very legitimate buyers. Do I neg. him, give him a neutral or just blow it off completely?

Mike

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    I had an AWFUL experience with them over a cheap $5.00 card! I left him neutral but should have negged him. It took 5 weeks, multiple emails and then the card I got was a different PSA serial number than in the auction picture. Like I said, only a $5.00 card so wasn't a big deal but I was really unhappy to waste so much time. They kept responding to my emails (after several days or more) with "we will mail that today" and then nothing. I probably sent them 6 or 7 emails and finally got the card.

In conclusion, I am mad I only gave him a neutral so I think you should NEG him! We need to protect each other by giving accurate feedback. By the way, he did not leave me any feedback (though I paid the day I won).
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm. He actually left me feedback immediately after I paid. For that reason alone, I at least don't have fear of retaliation. Would like to hear other opinions as well.

• Options
    wallst32wallst32 Posts: 513 ✭✭
    Assuming the seller did send the item, if it was not insured, I do not see how you could put him at fault or make him liable for any expenses.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Uh-oh. I just won two cards from this guy. Fortunately the total with shipping was only $16. I will not hesitate to Neg him if I don't get them.
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Assuming the seller did send the item, if it was not insured, I do not see how you could put him at fault or make him liable for any expenses. >>

This really isn't true. The seller's responsibility is to get you the product. If you paid via PayPal they would side with the buyer.

As a buyer if he can furnish proof of mailing, I'd tend to let it slide. But with this seller getting other recent negatives I'd press him for a refund.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    if it was not insured,

What SAG said is true.

I would ask the seller for my money back and see what happens

Happened to me 2x once as a seller, and once as a buyer. Luckily for me i showed the buyer the insurance card with his zip on it and told him i would send the forms to him. he declined and I never heard from him again. The seller in my case offered a 50 percent refund which I took. I did not neg him as he gave me a positive at the time of payment. In you're case (that right DG)? I would first ask for a refund and take it from there. 18.00 is not the end of the world.

Good Luck

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Back in August, he had two auctions, each titled "1970 Topps Hockey PSA 8 Lot of 4". One of the two auctions had 4 PSA 8 graded cards, the other had 3 PSA 8 graded cards and 1 PSA 7 graded card. I bid on both (about $5 less on the lot with the PSA 7). I won the lot with the 4 PSA 8 cards. I received the lot with the 3 PSA 8 cards and the 1 PSA 7 card. I went back to the auction description to be sure that I wasn't losing my mind, and unfortunately the only aspect of the auction that described the actual lot was the scan of the cards in the lot, and the scan was no longer available. So there was really nothing I could do at this point.

He did leave me feedback immediately, and I received the cards quickly and safely packaged. Just got the wrong ones.
  • Options
    This guy has not a clue. I won a "Mint" '63 Jim Bunning (the green nameplate did indeed look untouched in his scan) only to receive the card and find it has a crease and has been trimmed. I also won a lot of 105 "Mint" 1971 Topps Basketball cards - when this bozo packaged them, he just put them loose in a box with no top loaders, nothing to protect them. They rattled around in the box when I picked them up at the post office and they are now EXMT on average at best. He has made the top 3 in my "alltime irresponsible seller" list in my 5+ years of buying cards on ebay.
    Collecting Vintage Baseball.
    My ebay listings
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I've purchased PSA lots from him before, and had no problems.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    I have actually bought cards from and sold cards to this seller. Never had a problem at all. Just my experiences image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    He has basically said to me that if I didn't purchase insurance, then it is my problem. My issue is that he has no proof of ever mailing it out. I will likely eat the loss and give him a neutral in this case, but he has also lost a future bidder and his reputation has been sealed here on these boards, I fear.

It continues to amaze me how many people don't understand the value of good customer service on ebay. I also collect Wacky Package stickers. There is one woman on ebay that I have purchased about 50 stickers from. For the second time now she has sold me one that was creased and I asked for a refund ($2.32). She replied that I was a trouble maker and refused to refund the $$$. Now she has lost a very loyal buyer for life. I had even e-mailed her to tell her I had valuable information to help her significantly increase the $$$ she would receive on future auctions (she advertises her stuff as NM - I graded the first 20 I won from her and 18 of the 20 came back PSA 8 or PSA 9). Now she will never know. Idiot.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I just stumbled upon an auction of his and remembered that there was a thread on him. I am almost consideing bidding to prove that he doesn't send the cards pictured. I just saved the scan to my site. Here is the scan.

I am going to see how high the auction goes but if someone else wants these just let me know and I won't bid but please post the cards when you get them.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I always keep the receipt for anything I sell on ebay that is sent through the US Post Office !! Ask him for a copy of the receipt !! It will have your zip code on it proving that it was actually mailed !! If he is any kind of a business person he will have kept those !! Othewise it is just his word that it was mailed !! A negative is certainly deserved but wait a while to see if you get your card, otherwise if you neg him & he hasn`t sent it , you may not get it at all !! After you get it, THEN.. neg him !!
  • Options
    I will not deal with them again. I won a GAI OPC Hockey pack for around $10. When I received the pack it was Topps pack of the year I won. Eventually I got the information to send the pack back and I did. When I finally got my refund I was still out about $1, after fees and shipping and such. I had bought from the previously. However after that incident I have not and will not buy from them again.
  • Options
    You are due a FULL refund. I sell regularly on Ebay and you should know that although sellers pass on the cost of insurance, the insurance is solely for their benefit. They collect on the insurance. If he cannot furnish proof of delivery, then Ebay/Paypal will give you a full refund plus shipping. And if he does not do it first, they charge him $10 service fee for taking it out of his account! The seller is totally responsible for the DELIVERY of the item.

Just wanted you to know...
    << image >>