Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Collectable, Not Collectable ? My Picture Added.

Bought this on a hunch that it just might be real pretty. As usual I know nothing about this coin.....image Please help with value and so on.

The coin arrived. Patches of multi color tone adore the surfaces. A very cool coin.

imageimage

Ken

Comments

• Options
    It's what is known as a Maria Theresa Thaler. They were first struck by Austria and portray the
    empress of that name who reigned 1740-80. The coin was used as an unofficial trade dollar in Africa and
    the Near East and nearly a billion have since been restruck with the same date by many world mints. It
    contains about 3/4 of an ounce of silver and may be worth about $6 if uncirculated. You
    might also try a library for a copy of the Standard Catalog of World Coins for pictures, pricing
    and more info. Here's the web site on identifying the restrikes:
    jdsworld
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brad so its a bullion piece ? I knew it was a restrike but had no idea when it was restruck. It better be pretty because I paid 12 bucks delivered. If its pretty I will take a picture when it arrives. If not I will give it to the wife...image

Thank You for the information.

Ken
  • Options
    More info... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin arrived and it is pretty. My picture in the first post does it no justice at all. I IDed it as being from Brussels during the period of 1937 thru 1957. One thing for sure is that its home was in a album or something for a long time. The tone is deep and pretty as you turn the coin. Reds, Blues, Greens, Golds and others show up.

The coin looks to be a Proof.

Too bad for the wife, its a keeper for me.

Ken