Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Some statistics concerning my completed Lincoln 59-Date Circ Set.

I did this for my 09-58 set a while back and folks seemed to apprecaite the stats then, so I figured I would do it again.

Goal: Collect only MS 66 or better Lincoln Cents (got five to up grade)

Started: 1/11/2005
Completed: 10/30/2005
Days: 292
Average cost per day $8.96
Total Collection Cost: $2,617
PCGS price guide value: $3,924
Most expensive coin: 1972 S $143.00
Least expensive coin: 1982 and 1992 D each cost $8.00. But I also got two free coins; 1978 D and 1979 D in exchange for use of two free grades.
Average cost of each coin $ 26.70
Coins Bought from Dealers: 5 (05%) All from DLRC
Coins Bought on EBay 93 (95%)
Number of slabs crossover: None , all but 2 were in PCGS holders
Cost to slab two Raw submissions, Technically only shipping cost or about $5.00
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is very interesting.

Are you going to modify your goal? Are you going to put the set on the shelf?
    Doug
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I prefer to pour $$ into upgrades of the earlier Lincolns.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Right now I prefer to pour $$ into upgrades of the earlier Lincolns.

WS >>

Excellent idea. You know I did a similar thing with Memorials, but I only did a set from 1959 to 1969. I knew the 60's were a tough decade, so I bought nice examples for each year and mint mark. I just couldn't see spending very much money on more recent issues right now -- maybe I can buy them all in 2009!!!
    Doug
  • Options
    BOB -

I would be very interested in seeing your stats for completing the 09-58 portion of lincoln cents. I am getting very close to completing HALF of the set (unfortunately the easier half) 1934-1958. A few coins in there are MS65RD's...but I have plenty of time to pull them up to 66's. So, the reason I am interested in your 09-58 numbers is because I am probably 3-6 months out from starting that endeavor! I have always wondered how much it's going to cost me to get into those earlier dates. I'm most likely going to go the R/B route for the pre-1934 lincolns when I start on that half of the set.

And, thanks to you and Mike Sturgeon, I got an early start when you gave me the 1919 & 1927 & Mike gave me the 1920. It's going to be a long, long road....but I am up for the challenge!

Toby

P.S. If you would rather PM the stats, that's fine too. Thanks again!
  • Options
    also...I tracked every one of my purchases for my completed lincoln memorial set in my registry software program at home (created my "numisme")...but I never added them all up to get a final dollar amount. I'll have to do that and compare it your total! It will be interesting to compare the two....

My set rating is 67.40 when I add back in my cert #'s for my 68, 72 & 84-D. So, we are fairly close to one another in the registry. For some reason, I feel like I spent more than you did. image I'll report back tonight.

T

UPDATE: My total came to $2339.09 and that includes the 68, 72 and 84-D's that I recently upgraded/replaced. It is also important to mention that I purchased Mustangman's partial set to start my set last year...so for all coins that were acquired in that deal...it averaged out to be $9.00/coin (I only have 23 of his coins still in my set). All others were upgraded and sold off later. So, for 23 coins coins in my set, I used $9.00/coin.
  • Options
    Congratulations Watersport! And thanks for the enlightening statistics. Ellewood: Do a forums search and you'll find his 09-58 statistics.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Guys, Keep in mind my modest set of 09-58 has gone up a few grand since I posted those stats. Plus, I managed to upgrade the three Brown coins to RED or R&B. I still can not belive what I see some coins go for in just 63 R&B.

I keep just an excel spread sheet of buying and values just to keep an inventory mainly.

WS
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe someone did this with Jefferson nickels...........they were all NGC MS66.........every one of them!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting.

The price sounds high for an MS-66 set since few of these are very difficult but
    it also sounds pretty low since there are a lot of slabs and it would require thous-
    ands of mint sets and rolls to put this set together.

MS-66 might be about the best grade for the memorials since it looks like a good
    trade-off between cost and quality. If one did a little of his own searching he
    could probably raise the quality a little without raising the cost. MS-65 would be
    a lot cheaper but here you'd run into the problem of slab cost since many of the
    slabs would be worth more than their coins. A raw MS-65 set could be assembled
    cheaply with much effort.

A few of these get pretty pricey in MS-67.
    Tempus fugit.