Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Halloween....

I know wrong section.... image

Have a safe and a happy one.
Watch out for the little MONSTERS....lol image

Comments

• Options
    Anyone tossing in a couple world minors with the trick-or-treaters' candy to perhaps spark interest?
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Anyone tossing in a couple world minors with the trick-or-treaters' candy to perhaps spark interest? >>

Some of my students would probably think it was a new type of candy and try to eat it. image

Good idea. I may just do that. In 2x2s with country and date written on it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    I just bought a mask for my little brother.
    Need to buy candies tomorrow morning.

Happy Halloween!
  • Options
    October 31 is a Spooktacular day!
  • Options
    Been handing out candy and Darkside on halloween for a couple years now.
  • Options
    Here's what I did this year for the kids at Halloween (copy and pasted from my website)

Halloween Coin Treats

Speaking of kids and collecting world coins (or any coins for that matter), let me tell you of this year's effort to spread the joy of collecting. I decided that in addition to some traditional candy treats, there would be some nice old coins given away to the children in the hopes of igniting the collecting flame in some of them and hopefully, bringing some new collectors into the hobby. I went to one of the local coin shops and told the owner that I needed some coins to give away for Halloween. But I didn't want just any coins. Knowing that first impressions are everything, I felt that the coins I would give away needed to be intriquing and attention getting if I was going to be able to set the hook into any of these kids. Therefore, I decided that the coins had to be old and they also had to be large. I figured that if a coin was at least 100 years old, that would definately qualify as being very old from the perspective of most young people. So, I wanted coins that were dated no later than 1907! Also, the coin had to be large so that it was "in your face" a bit and so that it wouldn't get lost in the sea of candy when the kids went home to inspect their Halloween treasures. It just so happens that this coin dealer had only days before brought in a large lot of foreign coins that had included a good sized group of old English Large Pennies. The perfect coin for my Halloween coin caper! Knowing what I was up to, the shop owner agreed to let me have 100 of these coins for the very reasonable price of 20 cents per coin. He even allowed me to pick through the group so that every coin I pulled was at least 100 years old. Most of these were nice decent coins with no damage, just good honest wear. I walked out of the store with my $20 bag containing 100 of these stately old English coppers and was excited to begin my mission.

When the kids came trick-or-treating, into their bags and pumpkins along with a handful of candy went 1 old Englsh Large Penny. I was very careful not to let them see the coin go in and to ensure that they did not, I delivered the goods with the back of my hand upward and the palm down. Only the kids that seemed to be at least 5 years old got the coins. Under that age, I felt was too young. By the end of the night, I had given away all but a few of the coins and had the best time delivering my little secret treats. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing what happened as each child discovered the coin once they got home. But, I can tell you that my imagination was going wild as I pictured a youngster running to mom or dad with their coin in hand screaming with delight "daddy, look at the big old coin I got, what is it?" Of course, I'm hoping that the spark that ignited at that very moment would become the full flame of a brand new coin collector! I've got to believe that out of almost 100 coins given out that night there must have been at least one kid, or the kid's brother, sister or parent that became smitten with the old English Penny and therfore became infected with the collecting bug. Though I do hope it was more, if indeed, only one child was hooked and on their way to a lifetime of collecting enjoyment because of my efforts, then I would surely consider the night a rousing success!

Update: I had one of the neighborhood dads figure out the coins probably came from me. I confessed and he asked me about them, what they were etc. He said his kids thought they were neat.

David
    Lover of the mutant Buffalo.

Kaleidoscope Coins